Wilton Clear Vanilla Extract Causing Skunky Smell In Smbc?

Decorating By ladyk333 Updated 11 May 2010 , 3:51pm by auntiecake

ladyk333 Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:46am
post #1 of 15

I know this sounds crazy, but it's happened a couple of times to me and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it or knows why it might be happening. I normally use pure vanilla extract because I like the flavor, but a couple of times I've needed a whiter SMBC. I used the Wilton clear vanilla extract and everything seemed to come together beautifully, but then I noticed a bit of a skunky smell and an ever so slightly skunky taste to my SMBC??? This was the second time I experienced this, and the only thing I can think that I did differently than I normally do was use the Wilton clear extract. I let it sit overnight covered in my fridge and whipped it up again the next day to see if there was any difference. Slightly less skunky, but it was still there.

What could this be? Has it happened to anyone else?

14 replies
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:02am
post #2 of 15

I use only pure extracts in my SMBC. No artificial flavorings.

auntiecake Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:16am
post #3 of 15

I love Watkins clear vanilla. They also have pure vanilla. It smells and tastes wonderful. You will probably have to get it thru a Watkins dealer. Check the Watkins home page and I think it will tell you how to find a dealer.

LindaF144a Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:54am
post #4 of 15

Have you checked the bottle to see if it smells?

I have used that kind of vanilla all weekend long to make my SMBC and I had no smell. I'm not crazy about using artificial vanilla, but it is such a small amount I have let it go. I too didn't want to discolor my frosting.

I also did not notice any difference in taste in the frosting either, if that helps.

auntiecake Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 15

Wilton vanilla doesn't have much flavor or smell. I agree, but there are other clear vanillas out there that do and taste great.

ladyk333 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks everyone - I'll look into a different clear vanilla extract, or just keep to my pure one. I'd rather have a natural color than have skunky SMBC!

GI Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 15

I did a little "taste test" with a tad bit of clear-Vanilla-Wilton in my SMBC not too long ago. It was n-a-s-t-y stuff and I tossed it right out! icon_twisted.gif (Yes, it was just gross!)

So yes, it was indeed the Wilton.

I decided right then and there I was just going to stick with straight-up REAL vanilla! Madagascar Vanilla, yum yum! And I've never looked back and I get raves a-l-l ... t-h-e... t-i-m-e from people who aren't even cake eaters; and also those who usually get the *powdered-sugar buttercream* icings.... LOVE that SMBC! icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 15

I use clear Wilton in my buttercream and everyone says it tastes great. *sniff*

I do use pure vanilla in my cakes and any buttercream that doesn't need to show.

auntiecake Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 15

Try Watkins! It is yummy, cost effective, comes in clear, pure, and many others. No I am not a distributor, but I love this vanilla. It is also double strength.

tmac670 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:48am
post #10 of 15

I like Watkins too- I used to have to wait to buy it at the fair or from the catalog- but recently I found it at my local Walmart.

mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #11 of 15
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I use clear Wilton in my buttercream and everyone says it tastes great. *sniff*

I do use pure vanilla in my cakes and any buttercream that doesn't need to show.

I use Wilton clear vanilla in my crusting bc when I need for it to be white, but I always use real vanilla in my SMBC and cakes. I'm just not crazy about imitation flavorings.

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 15

I make my own vanilla, and when I need to use something "clear" I just don't shake the bottle first. It isn't quite as dark that way. (all the beans/seeds are settled at the bottom of the bottle) That way I can use the real stuff. icon_smile.gif

Debcent Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 15

Loucinda, Would you be willing to share your vanilla recipe with all of us? icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 15

It is really easy...buy a bottle of good quality vodka - and get some grade B vanilla beans off of ebay (are just fine for making vanilla - and a LOT cheaper than grade A ones) I pour a little out of the bottle of vodka to make room for the beans. I cut the beans in 1/2 lengthwise, and then in half to expose the beans inside. I stuff as many as I can in there - it is usually about 30 beans. Put it in a dark place, shake it every couple of days and it is ready to use in about 8 weeks. If you want to use it in something that you don't want the tiny beans or a lot of brown color, DO NOT shake it right before you measure it out. It is a lighter color at the top after setting, and it doesn't turn the icing too dark when you use it that way. If you use it in the cake batter - shake it up first and you will then get some of the yummy little bits of vanilla bean in there! icon_smile.gif

auntiecake Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #15 of 15

If you go to the Watkins site you should be able to find a dealer so you don't have to wait til fair time. The Watkins at Walmart is more expensive. I buy it by the gallon for about $69.99 or $79.99. I can't remember which for sure. I have a 16 oz bottle I pour it into to make it easier to use. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%