My First Cake Disaster :(

Decorating By customcakes_stamford Updated 10 May 2010 , 5:21am by leah_s

customcakes_stamford Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:45am
post #1 of 3

Had to make a communion cake this weekend - a 3 tier one. the bottom was a red velvet (with CC filling), middle tier a strawberry with b/c and the topmost a chocolate cake with mocha pastry cream filling and all covered in fondant. It turned out exactly as the pic the client sent. I had to deliver it to her place abt a 45 min drive. by the time i got there, the cake seemed wobbly...the bottom layer seemed to tilt a bit. I think bcoz the bottom layer being red velvet with the CC filling got a bit too soft. Am i right? i did use dowels but the cake got top heavy i think. Has anyone else had this problem. This was my first attempt at making a 3 tier cake and I'm wondering what i did wrong!

2 replies
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:07am
post #2 of 3

Cream cheese icing being "too soft" is usually in reference to it being used under fondant and causing air bubbles or other problems with the fondant, not structural problems. I'd say the problem is with your support system.
I see that you used dowels. How many did you use? How did you level your cake?

Where did you place the cake for transport? Backseat, floorboard, trunk?
By answering these questions maybe we can help you figure out what went wrong thumbs_up.gif .

BTW the cake is really cute.

leah_s Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:21am
post #3 of 3

Cake doesn't support cake. It's your support system that caused the problem. Mamaw asked good questions. The cake was transported on a flat surface, right? Certainly not on a car seat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%