R.i.p.

Decorating By fafruia Updated 10 May 2010 , 5:40pm by linstead

fafruia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fafruia Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #1 of 4

Old, gas oven has died after many faithful years and will need to be replaced. Does anyone feel strongly about their type of oven that would like to share? I'm not sure wheather or not to go with electric convection. It will be in my home kitchen, not a bakery. I'm a bit nervous that all of my tried and true cake recipes will need major tweaking now just to get them right! HELP! I must replace it this week!

3 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 4

Hi fafruia ~ I love baking in electric ovens. My first stove was gas, and when I moved and had to work with electric, I was totally hooked from that point on. (That was about 15 years ago.) I think everyone has their own favorite preference, though. icon_wink.gif

I'm currently in the market for a new range, and I'm going with dual fuel, gas for the stove top and electric ovens. The ovens have the option to just "bake" or "bake convection". I'm not familiar with convection cooking at all, so that will be all new for me. (Like you, I'm worried about having an "adjustment period". icon_surprised.gif ) Hopefully other's will chime in with more help on that for you. I'm sorry you have such a short period of time to do this.

If you know the size you need, such as 30", 36" (widths), try googling things like this: range 30 gas, range 36 electric, range 30 dual fuel. You will get web sites that will give you lots of information on the different manufacturers, photos, kitchen galleries (so you can get an idea of what the range looks like in a kitchen setup). Also, if you like a particular manufacturer, such as JennAir, GE, KitchenAid, etc., you can go right to their web site for all the ranges they offer. thumbs_up.gif

Best wishes with your decision! icon_smile.gif

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 4

I would defientely go with conventional/convection oven. You have the two options of baking normally or baking at a higher speed.

I didn't know much before I got mine but I mostly bake everything on "speed bake" only takes 1/2 the time. but can't go away for too long or the stuff wil burn.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 4

My two cents - remodeled kitchen last years after 20 years of living with a totally electric range/oven. I bought a Jenn Air dual fuel convention range - gas on the cook top and elcctric convection for the oven. First time I baked a cake I almost cried when I took it out - it was completely FLAT on the top!!! OMG - I had this moment of realization that I had been torturing myself with that old electric oven (which NEVER rendered one flat topped cake or cupcake) for 20 years icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%