Should I Tell Customers I'm "new"

Business By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 10 May 2010 , 7:40pm by Kitagrl

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 15

I'm fairly new to cake decorating but I have a lot of people that are ordering cakes from me.

Should I tell people that I'm an amatuer, or should I let them be the judge when they look at my cakes?

I'm afraid that someone will expect a super professional cake when that's not my skill level, but on the other hand, I don't want anyone to feel that I charge "too much" for being a beginner (even though I don't think I do)

14 replies
Jenn2179 Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #2 of 15

I see you live in Cali, are you licensed and insured. In CA I am pretty sure you can't bake out of your house.

indydebi Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:41am
post #3 of 15

I see it as an asset. If they love your cakes and ask how long you've been doing this, you tell them and then they can be amazed at how talented you are in such a short time!

I've also never seen a chart that indicates you're only "allowed" to charge so much if you've been doing this 1-2 years or a little more if 3-5 years, etc. You sell your cakes for what they are worth and for what the market will bear, which has "not much" to do with how long you've been doing them.

1234me Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 15

Would they be ordering a cke if they had not seen your work? I personally wouldn't. If they have seen your work, and still order, they should know what they are getting! There are some people in this business who have been doing it for 30 years and there work looks completely different than mine, which I have only done this for 4 years. Customers choose mine over the competition because they want the style of cake I make, not the years of time I have been doing it! icon_smile.gif

cakes47 Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 15

If a lot of people are asking you to do cakes for them, then I'm sure they know your
work adn feel you're the decorator they want. No need to tell them how long you've
been doing cakes (unless they ask, of course).
Don't undercharge your work!!!!! Good luck and have fun!!!

hisbird Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 15

Ive just looked at your photos and they are great. Have faith in your skills! x

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks everyone! I do show them some pictures of recent cakes so they know what to expect : )

Jenn2179 - I'm not sure if your response was to my original question? I'm not sure how it's connected...

metria Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 15

don't tell them you're new. that'll be the beginning of giving them an inch and them taking a yard. if they want you to do something that's out of your skill level, just don't take the order.

metria Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy_in_my_tummy

Thanks everyone! I do show them some pictures of recent cakes so they know what to expect : )

Jenn2179 - I'm not sure if your response was to my original question? I'm not sure how it's connected...

it's not directly to your question, but we'd like to look out for your financial and professional well-being.

Jenn2179 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Quote:

it's not directly to your question, but we'd like to look out for your financial and professional well-being.

Thanks for backing me up Metria. It's just that many people don't know the rules and regs for the cake business. To answer the question I wouldn't say, "I'm new," but people tend to ask how long you have been doing cakes and I would be honest in my answer.

7yyrt Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Quote:

Thanks for backing me up Metria. It's just that many people don't know the rules and regs for the cake business. To answer the question I wouldn't say, "I'm new," but people tend to ask how long you have been doing cakes and I would be honest in my answer.

I see the point being: if you have a shop, and they can see your work, then I doubt the question will come up.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 15

The top was a concern of mine because, like any business, my overhead does include insurance, licensing, location rental, etc. and if I tell people that I'm "new", I think they would expect to pay less than if I wasn't "new". In that case, I'd be worried about my bottom line at the end of the day. If they feel that I'm overcharging because I don't have a lot of experience, I might not get orders which again affects my bottom line.

cylstrial Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 15

I just wouldn't tell them how long you've been doing it until they ask. And then if they ask, be honst and tell them how long you have been making cakes! Just tell them this is what you LOVE to do! It's your passion!

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 15

Don't tell them you are new...If they like your work and want to order a cake then great!! Know your limits and don't take on cake that you feel you cannot achieve.

Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #15 of 15

No because that doesn't mean you do good or bad...there are people who can say they've done it for 10 years but it doesn't mean they do a good job...OR there are those who are only a "year old" in the business and do amazing work.

I agree with those who say to let your work speak for itself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%