Strawberry Cake Disaster

Baking By Rethy Updated 17 May 2010 , 12:08am by Rose_N_Crantz

Rethy Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 5

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but when I make a boxed strawberry cake, it is so moist that my cake seems to want to fall apart. Another problem I have with it, my icing wants to slide off. You can actually slide the icing off and have the cake still standing there. I have tried it with just the mix and I have tried it with pudding added. I did a wedding cake this week that someone requested strawberry. The back of the cake bulged out where it was wanting to fall apart. I was able to make the front look good but the back was awful! The bride still loved the cake but I just want to know what to do to tame a strawberry cake. Any advice would be appreciated.

4 replies
Tclanton Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 5

What does your batter consist of when complete?

sweetnams Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 5

I have the same problem with boxed strawberry cake, its way too moist for anything..even simple torting. What I usually do is doctor it up, by using one of the recipes on also extends the box mix, makes it taste better and you end up with a good solid moist cake which will hold up to carving and torting.

This is what I have used time and again, worked great even for other flavors!

I am not quite sure why your icing is sliding off, have never had that happen to me.

poohsmomma Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 5

I posted a thread the other day about my BC problems...sliding off is one of them. I'm thinking my cake is too moist. I had scraped off the icing so I could start again, and right next to the cake is was very loose/liquidy/sloppy. Is this like your problem?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 17 May 2010 , 12:08am
post #5 of 5

I made a strawberry cake last month and it was perfect! I just used the WASC recipe, which is:

1 box white cake mix
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
1 cup water
3 eggs
1 tbsp flavoring
generous dash of salt

What I did to make it strawberry was I used strawberry yogurt instead of sour cream, milk instead of water, vanilla flavoring, and then I cooked down 1# of strawberries. If I remember correctly, I took the milk down to 1/2-3/4 cup to balance the juice of the strawberries.

Came out just like WASC normally does. Kinda sticky on the top as it cools, but I know a lot of people just trim that stuff off. One thing I would change the next time I do it, I might add a bit of pink coloring to it, as it didn't turn out as pink as I thought it would. It was almost a white cake with a tinge of flesh/beige color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%