Modeling Chocolate Problems?

Decorating By nonilm Updated 10 May 2010 , 1:32am by Crabbabs

nonilm Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:07am
post #1 of 3

I just tried to make modeling chocolate for the first time and it looked fine at first but after more mixing there was liquid squeezing out of my chocolate icon_surprised.gif . I used candy melts - 8 oz with 3 tbsp of corn syrup. I mixed white chocolate and light cocoa melts together. I ended up putting the ball of chocolate in the refrigerator to cool (without the liquid that was in he bottom of my bowl) Any ideas if I did something wrong or will this be OK?

Also tried searching for a "troubleshooting" thread/article on modeling chocolate but could not find one. If anyone has a good source please share!

Thanks!

2 replies
AnotherCreation Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 3

I think you may have mixed it too much. When I make mine I use 10 oz candy melts, melt them in the micro then add 1/3 cup of corn syrup I stir just until it begins to ball up a few seconds at the most then I dump it in a quart ziplock bag apread it flat in the bag and put it in the fridge just until its set then I leave it at room temp til I need it. Any left overs I leave at room temp as well. When ready make sure to break off SMALL pieces and knead just till pliable then break off another SMALL piece, knead til pliable and add to first piece and so on til you have the amount you need. Also you will want to try and keep your hands from getting to warm either by rinsing in cold water or keeping an ice pack handy. hth good luck

Crabbabs Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:32am
post #3 of 3

That sometimes happens when I make mine. It happens when you mix it too much. The liquid is the fat in the chocolate. (I think.) It shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just wipe off the excess and then put it in a ziplock bag and let it rest overnight. After it rests, there might be some solidified fat on the outside. No big deal, just cut it off. Hope this works for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%