Color Degradation Under Fluorescent Lighting - Solution?

Business By Cakepro Updated 10 May 2010 , 10:52pm by Loucinda

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:57am
post #1 of 9

I have heard that there is a solution (a light guard or screen or something) used in bakeries that prevents the color degradation that fluorescent lighting causes. I can't keep lavender/violet icing or fondant the desired shade I make it to save my life! Rose and pink also degrade terribly....so that when I make my bow loops or other elements early in the week, they are a different shade from the same batch of remaining fondant that I later need to use on the cake.

Does anyone here use lighting shields or whatever the solution may be?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 9

If I want to keep my colours vibrant in light I dust them with dusting powder. They keep their colour very well.

Cakepro Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #3 of 9

That's a neat suggestion, but some weekends I have 35 cakes due. I don't have time to be dusting bow loops with dusting powders. icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 9

I have excellent success using Chef Master No Fade Purple & Pink.

I've left fondant and gum paste items colored with these sit under fluorescent lights for long periods and not seen fading.

Rae

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:29am
post #5 of 9

Here's why red fades (and since purple is red+blue, why purple fades)....it goes back to the 70's: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653200-red.html+dye

Cakepro Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 9

Excellent, Rae...I use Chefmaster colors but haven't seen the No Fade ones. Thanks!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 9

Rae - where do you get your no fade purple from? I just did a quick search and can't find that color. I need it for this coming weekend! (thanks!)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 9

Hi, Cindy!
Not sure about getting it this weekend.........I bought mine from a vendor at Convention 2 years ago.

I found it online at Pfeil & Holing, scroll down and you'll see both the no fade purple and no fade ribbon pink. I have the large bottles. The colors are thinner than some gels or pastes, but you don't need much to get good color, either.

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=56&page=2

HTH
Rae

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much, I will see if I can get it in time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%