Can I Pipe With Canned Frosting?

Decorating By cakefort Updated 13 May 2010 , 8:29pm by LindaF144a

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #1 of 15

I didn't care for the way BC piped after adding so much brown. It became to hard and not smooth enough. Can I pipe with canned chocolate frosting on top of regular BC? Will it be so soft that it either bleeds or melts?

14 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of 15

Can you not add a little milk to the brown icing to thin it a bit? I'm not sure about the canned icing as I've never used it, but maybe you can add some powdered sugar to it and make it work for piping.

Melissas_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissas_Cakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 15

you can use canned icing but i dont think it will turn out as well, try adding milk of water a little at a time until you get your desired consistency.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 15

You can use canned icing, I saw it at a demo once at our cake club... a very nice henna design... I remember it because I was surprised at how pretty it looked & didn't realize you could :0)

Personally I (& the demonstrator too) use homemade butter cream or royal icing... but to play with or to practice with.... there's no harm :0)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 15

YEs, I've used it when I needed just a little chocolate brown color and didn't want to make a whole batch of choc icing.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of 15

It is a good consistency for piping. I've used it before when I just needed a little bit.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:09am
post #7 of 15

This is good to know.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:53am
post #8 of 15

Yes u can...
I stepped in it big time when I was teaching and a gal brought canned frosting to class. I told her in my most dignified teaching manner that it would not work. She proceeded to add a little powd. sugar to thicken it a bit...and it worked just fine! We were making roses I think...it made them and they even formed a crust.
Reading the other posts here about using it to make designs...what a great idea! I bet the brown would be alot easier to make black to pipe scrolls and such too. Guess I'll put a couple cans in the pantry!!!

tron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tron Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:08am
post #9 of 15

They even have some in a can now ready to pipe with 3 or 4 different tips. Saw it in Safeway.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:18am
post #10 of 15

I was told by a Wilton instructor, can icing was the best for little bitty work. Supposedly, the stuff is extra special when you need to do lines.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 15

When Norm Davis told us that is what he uses, I thought, well, if it is ok for him, why not for anyone else? I would say absolutely - I wouldn't use a lot of it, but for small details. Yes.

jwcnmr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwcnmr Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 15

You can use canned icing, but it tastes "funny," in fact I think it is terrible. I tried an experiment with 25 people and all but one preferred the buttercream, and since you can make it in 30 seconds why buy that goo?

Here's the link:
http://www.examiner.com/x-23850-Fairfield-County-Food-Examiner~y2010m3d11-Canned-icing-versus-home-made--is-there-a-difference

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 15

I have used chocolate canned icing when I wanted to make black before I discovered Americolor. I would add some powder sugar to the canned icing to make it thicker and easier to pipe. Then I would add the Wilton black color to the icing. I didn't have any problems using it for outline.

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:51am
post #14 of 15

It sounds like the concensus is that small lines are okay...not so much for large areas.

thanks!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:29pm
post #15 of 15

I just used canned icing this afternoon to ice a rose swirl on 18 cupcakes. It work fine. It was about as stiff as the Wilton stiff icing IMO.

The taste on the other hand is another issue. While I have used the chocolate icing in the past, this is my first time using Strawberry. And after making SMBC all weekend long I wish I had taken the time to make another batch for these cupcakes. It is definitely not to my liking. But they are going on top of cake mix cupcakes so I figure it is OK, I hope. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%