cakefort Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #1 of

I didn't care for the way BC piped after adding so much brown. It became to hard and not smooth enough. Can I pipe with canned chocolate frosting on top of regular BC? Will it be so soft that it either bleeds or melts?

14 replies
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:36am
post #2 of

Can you not add a little milk to the brown icing to thin it a bit? I'm not sure about the canned icing as I've never used it, but maybe you can add some powdered sugar to it and make it work for piping.

Melissas_Cakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of

you can use canned icing but i dont think it will turn out as well, try adding milk of water a little at a time until you get your desired consistency.

cakemom42 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of

You can use canned icing, I saw it at a demo once at our cake club... a very nice henna design... I remember it because I was surprised at how pretty it looked & didn't realize you could :0)

Personally I (& the demonstrator too) use homemade butter cream or royal icing... but to play with or to practice with.... there's no harm :0)

indydebi Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of

YEs, I've used it when I needed just a little chocolate brown color and didn't want to make a whole batch of choc icing.

jammjenks Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #6 of

It is a good consistency for piping. I've used it before when I just needed a little bit.

mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:09am
post #7 of

This is good to know.

cakebaby59 Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:53am
post #8 of

Yes u can...
I stepped in it big time when I was teaching and a gal brought canned frosting to class. I told her in my most dignified teaching manner that it would not work. She proceeded to add a little powd. sugar to thicken it a bit...and it worked just fine! We were making roses I think...it made them and they even formed a crust.
Reading the other posts here about using it to make designs...what a great idea! I bet the brown would be alot easier to make black to pipe scrolls and such too. Guess I'll put a couple cans in the pantry!!!

tron Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:08am
post #9 of

They even have some in a can now ready to pipe with 3 or 4 different tips. Saw it in Safeway.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:18am

I was told by a Wilton instructor, can icing was the best for little bitty work. Supposedly, the stuff is extra special when you need to do lines.

Loucinda Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:08pm

When Norm Davis told us that is what he uses, I thought, well, if it is ok for him, why not for anyone else? I would say absolutely - I wouldn't use a lot of it, but for small details. Yes.

jwcnmr Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:41pm

You can use canned icing, but it tastes "funny," in fact I think it is terrible. I tried an experiment with 25 people and all but one preferred the buttercream, and since you can make it in 30 seconds why buy that goo?

Here's the link:
http://www.examiner.com/x-23850-Fairfield-County-Food-Examiner~y2010m3d11-Canned-icing-versus-home-made--is-there-a-difference

Bev55 Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:03pm

I have used chocolate canned icing when I wanted to make black before I discovered Americolor. I would add some powder sugar to the canned icing to make it thicker and easier to pipe. Then I would add the Wilton black color to the icing. I didn't have any problems using it for outline.

cakefort Posted 13 May 2010 , 10:51am

It sounds like the concensus is that small lines are okay...not so much for large areas.

thanks!

LindaF144a Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:29pm

I just used canned icing this afternoon to ice a rose swirl on 18 cupcakes. It work fine. It was about as stiff as the Wilton stiff icing IMO.

The taste on the other hand is another issue. While I have used the chocolate icing in the past, this is my first time using Strawberry. And after making SMBC all weekend long I wish I had taken the time to make another batch for these cupcakes. It is definitely not to my liking. But they are going on top of cake mix cupcakes so I figure it is OK, I hope. icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%