An "etiquette Hell" Cake Story!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 12 May 2010 , 2:00pm by Odyssey

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 25

found this story on my 2nd favorite website, www.etiquettehell.com , and just HAD to share it here.

The big flag should have been when the baker said "No problem! I'll bake the cake the morning of your wedding!" icon_surprised.gif

http://www.etiquettehell.com/?p=361

24 replies
Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 25

oh Debi.... i think i spent alot of friday night reading stories on that site - very addictive!

midlight21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midlight21 Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 25

I read it too. I spent some of yesterday reading some of those. icon_smile.gif Funny but horrifying!

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 25

And here on CC I always read about bakers who give too much refund, even if the customer damages the cake. This lady has no shame, demanding more money!!! I'm speechless!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 25

WOW!!!!!!

I have to say I'm upset at the people who responded it's just a cake or just laugh about it. IT'S YOUR WEDDING DAY!!!! I can't believe a "friend" would mess up like that - and then demand a refund of the cost of your gift. Who does that?! How does someone with a culinary arts degree perform such no-nos?

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 25

Oh and to even talk about the $50 as the bride is leaving - REALLY!!!!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #7 of 25

icon_eek.gif What a story! I am dying to see a picture of that cake. Did I miss a picture or wasn't there one?

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

WOW!!!!!!

I have to say I'm upset at the people who responded it's just a cake or just laugh about it. IT'S YOUR WEDDING DAY!!!! I can't believe a "friend" would mess up like that - and then demand a refund of the cost of your gift. Who does that?! How does someone with a culinary arts degree perform such no-nos?

I agree, and I think it was not only about the cake she was crying about. I think the bride had her feelings hurt by putting her trust in her "friend" only to find out how much the friend cared about her. I would definitely have ended a friendship like that too. If it was a bakery that messed up I would have been upset, but this was a friend who broke a promise and who clearly showed how she prioritized this "gift."

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 25

So sad. For anyone to do that to a person on their wedding day is just horrible, but for a friend to do this to a friend there are no words to describe it. Oh and to have the cake"balls" to ask for $50.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 25

I havent made many cakes, however the ones that I have committed to making, well lets just say, I didnt get to do exactly what I wanted to the night before. If you do not have the committment, then you will probably not be successful. I feel bad for the bride as you can tell she had trust in her. So sad.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 25

Oh those customers who come in here and say "WHEN are you going to bake my cake? I want it baked the day before" if only I could force them to all read this! LOL.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:28pm
post #12 of 25

How horrible of her friend!!

And then there's me...I'm baking cakes tomorrow night for my friend's wedding Saturday...10 hours driving-time away!!!! icon_wink.gif

The flowers are formed, just need to be wired (wires are ready to go), dusted (easy-peasy), and royal icing in the center (already made and ready). I'm finishing her flowers tonight.

Then the cake will be driven up there, non-assembled, and assembled in her kitchen (small backyard wedding/reception). I'm trying to make this as easy on me as I can without messing with the quality of the cake.

Only thing that would stop me is if I were injured or get into an accident on the way, and I'm certain she would be understanding if that happened (part of the reason I love her so much and am willing to do so much for her). icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 25

Some friend...eh? I couldn't imagine doing that to someone I didn't call a friend. icon_eek.gif This has to be one of the worst "disasters" that I've heard so far.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

So sad. For anyone to do that to a person on their wedding day is just horrible, but for a friend to do this to a friend there are no words to describe it. Oh and to have the cake"balls" to ask for $50.

icon_lol.gif I almost spewed my tea! ROFLMBO. Yeah, HUGE cake balls to ask for 50 bucks for that slop. Just when I think people can't be so bad, someone comes along and confirms it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 25

Wow, I wonder how they were even friends to begin with. Surely a "good friend" wouldn't just wake up and do something this awful overnight...there had to be past problems that the bride just overlooked.

Yikes.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:48pm
post #16 of 25

"ALL cakes look like this before the final icing goes on!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:19pm
post #17 of 25

i, too, would love to see the pictures.

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:02pm
post #18 of 25

I'm a complete [self-taught] novice when it comes to cake decorating, and I've never been to culinary school, but this puts me into shock! The so-called friend must have both completely over-estimated her skills plus been incredibly selfish. I can't believe that she would still demand payment -- I would be burying my head in the ground in shame!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:50pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

"ALL cakes look like this before the final icing goes on!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mine have crumbs in the icing before the final coat but I don't have hunks of cake falling off icon_lol.gif . According to this story there was more wrong with the cake than a few crumbs.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:14am
post #20 of 25

Ok, let me get this straight:
*Friend of bride is a graduate of a culinary school??? icon_biggrin.gif
*Thinks it will be ok to ice a hot cake?? icon_confused.gif
*Then finish cooling in a refiridgerator?? icon_confused.gif
*And comes back with supermarket canned icing and expects to
decorate with it??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif
*And everyone would be impressed?? icon_eek.gif

What culinary school did this woman graduate from - Easy Bake Academy of Pastry Arts?? dunce.gif What a screw ball. I would have loved to have seen a pic.

Sandy

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #21 of 25

That's sad and terrible all at the same time!

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:33am
post #22 of 25

Wow, I can not believe this lady. As soon as I read that she was planning on baking all of the layers the day before I knew it was going to be a disaster. And then she has the nerve to ask for money! icon_eek.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:20am
post #23 of 25

Ok Debi..... it's 2 am..... I have been reading that site for like2 hours now.... DH is going to have my head for breakfast.... lol.... lI was hooked on all those stories WOWZY!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 12 May 2010 , 6:54am
post #24 of 25

OMG I'm addicted to reading these now! I'm in shock of the story about the bridesmaid trying to hijack the brides wedding!

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:00pm
post #25 of 25

I remember reading a disaster here once where someone had to rebake late in the game and was outside in the winter air trying to cool the cake, thankfully she knew to do that because obviously this culinary graduate couldn't grasp just why that would have been appropriate action...

Unfortunately I'm hooked on that site too and joining their forum. I should have been studying for a German final yesterday and here I am browsing some amazingly crazy stories. The scariest is perhaps a bride who was kidnapped at her wedding. It was supposed to be a game where the groom payed the "ransom" and saved her but his "friends" didn't do more than the kidnapping and left her in a shed. She was pregnant and lost her baby because of it. An amazingly sad story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%