Picked Up Wrong Cake...ugh

Business By littlecake Updated 11 May 2010 , 8:32pm by cylstrial

littlecake Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 5

we are really busy right now as we are into graduation season.

a lady comes in last saturday...points at the full sheet that was ready, and says i've come to pick up my cake...looks at it, says how pretty it is, pays with a check.....she had a really hard time filling out the check...like she put "little cake co" where the date was supposed to be. and had to write another one, i didn't think much about it at the time, i do stupid stuff sometimes too.

about 2 hours later a young woman comes in for this same cake ...i told her her grandma already got it...well this was not her grandma, i told it it had to be a family member as she looked at the cake, (the name on it was not common at all).

well she called everyone...no one picked it up. so i had to scramble to make her another cake.

at the end of the day there was a 1/4 left over...it turned out to be the first ladies cake...nothing like the other cake.

we are really really busy on saturdays, i didn't check the name on the order, since she was so sure that was hers i guess i let it slip.

anyhoo...abot 7 hours later the first womans husband called madder than a wet hen his wife spent so much on a "G*D [email protected] cake...and angry it was the wrong one.

i told him to bring it back and i'd give him a refund.....but they were about an hour away.

i was thinking she prolly had a touch of alzhiemers since she had such a hard time filling out the check....but he was in the car, it looks like he would have noticd the cake was 4 times as big as th one they ordered,

anyhoo since it as part my fault for not checking the order, i'm giving him 50% back, in the mail, he seemed happy with that...

moral of the story is...check the order!

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 5

I'm always a little scared that's going to happen to me. At my bakery, we have the orders on a rack by the entrance and so many times someone will walk up and point to one saying "that's mine". I'm always a little concerned that it's just some random person walking by and saying it's their cake.

One time (just because it was a slow day and I felt like it) I did ask for some more specifics like who the cake was for so I could compare it with what was written on the cake.

I've never had someone just take a cake or the wrong cake though. If they were handed the wrong cake they point out the error right away!

CelebrationsbyLori Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

Since I have so many people that will just walk in and say I'm here for my cake... the next question is always, what name is it under? Sometimes it's quite a cat and mouse game when the person picking up isn't the person who ordered and you go through half a dozen names to find the right ticket! The moral of the story is definately to ask for a name and make sure it matches the order! After this story, I'll bet it'll never happen again!

ninjacaker Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 5

Yikes-that's pretty scary. Def always check to make sure you have to right customer! icon_lol.gif

cylstrial Posted 11 May 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

Hey Littlecake! How ya been?

I'm glad that it turned out ok in the long run. It stinks that that happened though. And really, I would say that something was wrong with that lady - because I have never seen anyone write the name where the date goes! I could see writing it where the written dollar amount goes (because it's under it). But in the date section? Wow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%