Help! Trying To Make Sugar/glass Tiles For Shower Cake

Decorating By Lovebug13 Updated 9 May 2010 , 10:53pm by Lovebug13

Lovebug13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovebug13 Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 5

Hi. I am trying to make the sugar tiles for a baby shower cake. its my first time trying. my problem is i cant seem to get away from having the little air bubbles form in the bottom of the molds.. i am using a recipe i found here..any suggestions?
(medium heating sugar, corn syrup and water to 300 degrees. cooling to 260 and then pouring into wiltons brownie molds)

thanks!!!! icon_sad.gif

4 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 5

I just had the same problem! I was trying to make a screen for my blackberry cake. Is this a hard candy recipe or are you using isomalt?

I used isomalt. I did not end up using the screen on the cake because of the air bubbles. I was told that I stirred the isomalt too much. But either way, you have to heat to 340 degrees, I believe. I dont think you are heating high enough. What does your themometer say? If you already have the bubbles, then you can use a blow torch to get rid of them, apparently. But I do not know exactly what stage? Nor do I feel comfortable with a blow torchd! HTH!

Lovebug13 Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 5

no i was using corn syrup, water, and sugar. a recipe i read on these forums. i melted to 300 then cooled to 260 like it said. ive tried 2 different pans, tried heating higher, tried cooling more, just cant get those little buggers outta there! LOL they look good tho. my hubby seems to think no one will notice on the cake so im gonna try some more tonight. i also read that the isomalt is not worth it. so thats why i went the sugar route first. let me know if u figure it out! icon_smile.gif ps...no blow torches!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovebug13 Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 5

thanks Bob...thats actually the thread that i got the recipe from! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%