Applying Sanding Sugar To A Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By Chippi Updated 10 May 2010 , 8:14am by Chippi

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, hope your Mother's day is Fantastic!

I was wondering if anyone knows the steps for applying sanding sugar to a fondant covered cake? My plans to do it are to use a misting bottle and spray very lightly w/ water but not sure that is the correct way and I want it to look very nice so any help is super!

Thanks!
Chippi

9 replies
vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 10

I did it last weekend for a wedding cake and what I did was using a large brush, apply gum glue to the tiers, and then put the sanding sugar with a shaker.
I would NOT put water even if it's a fine mist since water and fondant and sugar do not mix!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 10

You can use some gum glue or some pipng gel. But my question is, why if you are covering the cake in sanding sugar, you are going through the trouble of using fondant? Just a question!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

vagostino Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 10

This is the one I made this weekend, the bottom tier is sanding sugar. (Thanks To LEanneW for all her help since this was her original design!)
LL

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 10

I've been wanting to try this too! Always wondered how to get it evenly on the sides of the cake especially, and what size grain of sugar to use and works best? icon_smile.gif
tonedna -do you only apply it to a BC cake? What's your process so the BC doesn't get all "goopy" with the sugar and create large clumps?

vagostino Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:21pm
post #6 of 10

That's why i covered it first with fondant, since it was the bottom tier specially I wanted the extra stability of the fondant.
In my case, I brushed the cake first with gum glue, and then I apply the sugar with a shaker and kept my other hand close to the cake to catch the leftover....The thickness of the sugar is always the same because it only sticks in the gum glue, so if you brush the gum glue evenly you will have an even layer.

I got a 2 lbs. bag of sanding sugar al GSA and I have 1/2 bag left after covering a 14 inch square.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiesbykim

I've been wanting to try this too! Always wondered how to get it evenly on the sides of the cake especially, and what size grain of sugar to use and works best? icon_smile.gif
tonedna -do you only apply it to a BC cake? What's your process so the BC doesn't get all "goopy" with the sugar and create large clumps?

I have done them both ways. And it works well in both mediums.
I sometimes feel the fondant wont be seen as much so why bother with the extra step.. icon_lol.gif But on the other hand it might be easier for some people to handle it.

Here is one I did with buttercream. I added gum glue with a brush and grab the suggar with my hand and attached it. It's messy, so keep paper all around so you can reuse what falls down. I did this after the cake was stacked
Edna icon_smile.gif
LL

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #8 of 10

I used glitter gel as glue on this cake. Regular piping gel would have worked too. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1168552

midlight21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midlight21 Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #9 of 10

My sister has done this with Piping Gel. Clear sanding sugar on white fondant looks very pretty!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:14am
post #10 of 10

Hmm sorry guys, didn't know I wouldn't get an email w/ replys.

All the cakes are beautiful! Edna, friends daughter just wanted fondant. Glad to know that you can apply to both! I'm going to be covering a 12" and 8" w/ it. Thanks for the info using piping gel or glue gum. Never heard of the glue gum, gonna have to google icon_smile.gif

Again thanks everyone!
Chippi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%