Why Do People Feel Inclined To Touch A Cake....

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 9 May 2010 , 4:19pm by Rose_N_Crantz

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 11

My partner and I created a cake for a birthday party that I was invited to (120 people). The cake was a shopping bag, chanel purse, shoe box with GP shoe on top, sugar diamonds, GP jewelry, etc... They guy who ordered the cake for his wife spent a lot of money on this cake. The party starts at 8:00 but they make their grand entrance at 9:00 so I want the cake to look perfect when they walk in, but I'm also not going to stand guard over the cake.

From a distance I'm watching people's reactions as they go over to look at the cake. But I start noticing ALOT of folks are touching the cake. I almost freaked when one person tried to pick up the shoe (we know how delicate those are!), one lady picked up a bracelet, and many just touched the cake with their finger. WHY!! Is this happening to all the cakes we deliver? Do people go over to the appetizer table and touch the chicken skewers , do they poke at the meat on the carving table...? NO!!

The manager put up a placecard sign on the table stating "Display is delicate - Please do not touch" but this was completely ignored. Are people just idiots?

10 replies
thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 11

I here you. I made a cake for the local fair. There was a huge sign that read "DO NOT TOUCH THE DISPLAYS!" When I went to check on my cake there were finger prints, smudges and even a few dents and holes where ppl felt inclined to stick their finger all the way into my cake. Needless to say the judges didn't eat it after that. >icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 11

I can tell you because I caught myself almost touching a cake!! icon_surprised.gif

Our own CakeRN made a FABULOUS beer bucket groom's cake for her daughter's wedding, where I had the honor of being the caterer. She gets it all set up and she and I are standing there looking at it and my hand was halfway to the cake when I caught myself! I said, "OMG, look at me! I was becoming one of those cake-touching people!"

She also had a sign that said, "Yes, it's a cake!!" but that didnt' stop folks, either!

It's also why museums have signs that say "don't touch the displays" (because the oils from our hands will ruin the finish or the paint).

We just want to touch beautiful things.

So while it's irritating and shocking, I guess we should take it as the compliment that it is. thumbs_up.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I can tell you because I caught myself almost touching a cake!! icon_surprised.gif

So while it's irritating and shocking, I guess we should take it as the compliment that it is. thumbs_up.gif

icon_smile.gif Your comment made me smile - guess I just needed to let out my frustrations this morning! I just know I would have been so upset if someone broke something before the recipient saw the cake. Maybe next time I set up a cake I'll leave a box of latex gloves on the table icon_wink.gif

maggles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggles Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Maybe next time I set up a cake I'll leave a box of latex gloves on the table icon_wink.gif

That's not a bad idea...it might actually end up deterring people from touching the cake. icon_lol.gif Put a sign next to the box that reads something along the lines of, "If you MUST touch the cake, please be sanitary and use a glove." It will make them stop and think. Then no one will want to go to the trouble of putting on a glove....and problem solved. Theoretically, of course.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggles

Put a sign next to the box that reads something along the lines of, "If you MUST touch the cake, please be sanitary and use a glove."

Oh! Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick Me!

Debi's Version:

"Yes, this is a real cake. A real food item that people will be eating. If you cannot control your urges to touch and play with food that people will be eating later in the day, at LEAST be considerate enough to wear a glove to protect this edible food item from your grimy, germy hands. The other guests will appreciate your 'consideration'. Thanks in advance!" icon_twisted.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 11

[quote="indydebi] Dbi's Version:
"Yes, this is a real cake. A real food item that people will be eating. If you cannot control your urges to touch and play with food that people will be eating later in the day, at LEAST be considerate enough to wear a glove to protect this edible food item from your grimy, germy hands. The other guests will appreciate your 'consideration'. Thanks in advance!" [quote]

This is great!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 11

I actually hired a girl to be our Cake Guard for my daughter's wedding. icon_lol.gif She was on guard from the time we set up the cakes until they were served.
We knew people would be tempted to touch the cakes, or eat the sugared pecans that were on the same table. We wanted great photos before that table was "released" for the guests. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

I actually hired a girl to be our Cake Guard for my daughter's wedding. icon_lol.gif She was on guard from the time we set up the cakes until they were served.
We knew people would be tempted to touch the cakes, or eat the sugared pecans that were on the same table. We wanted great photos before that table was "released" for the guests. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

I smell a new business opportunity! Professional Cake Guard - imagine the uniform?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #10 of 11

I dont think people will stop touching unless you put someone right there telling them
DO NOT TOUCH THE CAKE!
I have no idea why, but it's like bees to honey.

Edna icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 11

I think it comes from the fact that there are people that have grown up their whole lives and thought cake only comes in one shape.

A rectangle. In the pan.

So when they see a cake that's round, stacked, hexagon, fish shaped, whatever, they think "what's that?" And how do people learn? By touching. So they have to touch it. Or they have seen the cake shows, but haven't actually seen one of those cakes. So they are curious about what it's actually like.

I like the latex gloves idea. I might have to try that if I ever have cakes on display. As well as Debi's message. But I think in the end I will always consider it a compliment, no matter how much it might irk me! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%