Design Help Needed... Please!

Decorating By scionmom Updated 11 May 2010 , 12:45pm by scionmom

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #1 of 8

Ok, I have a last minute cake that I am doing for my pastors. Their adoption is being finalized this week for a boy and girl. I have some of the details and certain elements I want to add but she just told me she wants the colors to be light blue and red. How do i do that without it looking like 4th of July??? I am just stumped.
Any and all help is appreciated!!
Thank you.

7 replies
Traci805 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci805 Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #2 of 8

Hi, I am a new cake decorator (just for hobby) and had the same dilemma yesterday making a cake for my nephew. I frosted the cakes with buttercream and used a light blue. I added very little, just enough to give the cake a light blue color. I then used the same color blue for the fondant decorations but used a little more color so there would be enough contrast on the cake. I then used red as an accent color. My nephew wanted stripes so I used different thicknesses of the blue and used red stripes to add an accent.

I think the trick is to not make the base color of the cake white, which will give you the 4th of July feel. If you use a light blue background and different hues of blue and a hint of red, you will be on the right track.

Good luck!

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:13am
post #3 of 8

Traci, that's fantastic advice, I for one was a bit stumped at first. If you're going to be doing any figures, you could incorporate those colours in. (Baby blankets etc.) You could also try doing some flooded letters with one colour and accenting them with another colour. Zig zagging for example or dots around the edges. HTH

scionmom Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:22am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the tips! I really like the idea of the main color not being white. I dont know if I want to use a different shade of blue.... maybe a pale yellow??
This is the quote for the party "Not flesh of my flesh, not bone of my bone, but still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, you didn't grow under my heart - but in it. " Isnt it beautiful?!?! I plan on writing that on some gumpaste scrolls on the cake. It is going to be 2 tiers... 10 in square on bottom, and 6 in heart. Coming out of the heart i am making a gumpaste cross with the two kids names intertwined on it. Does that make sense?? This family is truly an inspiration! These two are the last of their children they will adopt... total of 11 in all!! WOW! So, i just want to make it so special because they have been a true blessing and inspiration to our lives.
Does the design so far make sense??

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #5 of 8

Love the idea of the pale yellow. Here is one I found online with the color scheme. If the mom likes, you could even do the Raggety Ann & Andy.....they were twins, right?

http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1078.jpg

scionmom Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:10am
post #6 of 8

Thank you tmgarcia! Seeing the color scheme like that just makes it all come together in my mind. They arent twins, just brother and sister. I am terrified to even try and do the dolls... lol. My figures look more like elephant men than anything... lol. But I am definately diggin the yellow with the colors!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 May 2010 , 7:41am
post #7 of 8

I absolutely love that quote. It's beautiful.

scionmom Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 8

I wanted let you all know how much I appreciate the help you gave me with this! So, here it is completed! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1672081&sub=1672085&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%