Hope you can help me:
1. can i decorate a fondant cake with buttercream and royal icing or should i stick to one. I want to pip around the base of the cake but dont want it to "melt" the fondant
2. if i'm making fondant flowers for my cake can i make them a head of time and then just BC stick them to the fontant cake? if so how far in advance can i make them and how do i store it?
3.Can i use fondant to cover a betty crocker cake mix cake or will the fondant suck the moisture out of it?
Thanks sooo much
1. Yes - you can use either or both.
2. Yes - you can make the flowers ahead of time, but I'd use royal icing to adhere them to the cake. Buttercream may not hold them. Fondant flowers - not sure on that as I only make gumpaste flowers and those can be made as far as a year ahead if you store in a sealed container. They'll last darned near forever.
3. Yes - you can cover virtually any brand of cake with fondant. Just put a layer of buttercream over your cake first. The fondant helps keep the cake moist.