I Am So Tired Of Decorators Talking Bad About Sheet Cakes!!!

Decorating By kake4me2 Updated 10 May 2010 , 3:25am by bakeawish

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 35

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of reading "long time decorators" complain about sheet cakes?
They can be just as fun and creative as any other cake! There are pleanty of images on CC to prove it! They don't have to be boring and unimaginative.....(unless the decorator is)

Please...what decorator didn't start out with sheet cakes(or single layer cakes of some sort)

Just needed to vent as I read another post about "I make no sheet cakes" as if its beneath them to make.

34 replies
malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #2 of 35

NEVER made a sheet cake....... and don't feel superior saying that!

Just saying....... NO -I have NEVER made one

People don't MAKE you feel bad....... YOU make that decision all on your own

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #3 of 35

Well if it weren't for sheet cakes i probably wouldn't be making any cakes at all. Thats all everyone here wants. They are easy to cut and serve and are considered a party cake here.

Now that said, most people don't want to pay alot for a sheet cake, after all its just a sheet.

But i do agree, sheet cakes need not be boring.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #4 of 35

As an inexperienced decorator, the lovely sheetcake designs here have helped me look pretty doggone good in front of my family and friends icon_cool.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by kake4me2

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of reading "long time decorators" complain about sheet cakes?
They can be just as fun and creative as any other cake! There are pleanty of images on CC to prove it! They don't have to be boring and unimaginative.....(unless the decorator is)

Please...what decorator didn't start out with sheet cakes(or single layer cakes of some sort)

Just needed to vent as I read another post about "I make no sheet cakes" as if its beneath them to make.

I am new at decorating also and have wondered what was wrong with sheet cakes. That's all my family ever has at birthday parties, but I guess we have never been 2 fancy. icon_smile.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #6 of 35

No problem with sheet cakes here. icon_smile.gif

Emma37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emma37 Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:17am
post #7 of 35

The OP did not say that the comments regarding sheet cakes make them 'feel bad'. They only said that they are tired of the negative comments. There is a difference.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 35

I don't have a problem with sheet cakes but my customers probably do. haha. I have a minimum price per serving no matter WHAT kind of cake it is....and that usually makes "just a sheet cake" much too expensive for a customer...because if they are going to pay that much money, they may as well get tiers or something fancier. As a matter of fact I've told clients "You can get tiers for that same money" and either they go to a bakery because they don't have the budget, or they are happy to get a fancier cake than they originally envisioned.

Its not that I hate sheet cakes...its that I cannot afford to sell them for bakery prices, and usually sheet cakes are what people buy to save money.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #9 of 35

I don't think that I've ever made a "sheet" cake. I've made plenty of 2 layered, rectangular cakes. I've had several people say "I just want a sheet cake". They don't realize that it's a single layer. My base price per serving is the same regardless if it's a sheet, kitchen, circle, tiered, whatever. In my limited experience, the ones that "just want a sheet cake" want to pay supermarket prices, and when they hear a quote they usually back out. In my opinion, a sheet cake can be decorated like a generic supermarket cake or be a work of art. I've seen some awesome ones on here. There are those that refuse to do them or think that they are above them, but to each their own. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #10 of 35

30 years making cakes ..... some of my favorite cakes that I've made are the sheet ones.

Thanh-Thanh is my biggest inspiration on this topic. She has shown that a sheet cake can be made into the most awesome piece of edible art I've ever seen. THAT is talent!!

kse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kse Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #11 of 35

malakainrop:

NEVER made a sheet cake....... and don't feel superior saying that!

Just saying....... NO -I have NEVER made one

Ditto.

I have never made a sheet cake and I don't feel like it is beneath me either.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #12 of 35

Tina turns out some pretty awesome sheet cakes as well.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:19am
post #13 of 35

I love cute sheet cakes. ALL types of cakes are awesome, IMO. They all have their rightful place.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #14 of 35

I don't like to fool with sheet cakes, and here's why. People want to pay me the same amount they would pay a grocery store, and my cakes are worth more than that! But customers just don't see it that way most of the time, they look at wally world's $25.00 sheet cake and then look at yours, even though you used premium ingredients, hand made fondant figures, and all the extras you do to it...and they still can't see the difference. That's why I am trying to get away from them...it's not because I think I'm "better" or anything, just don't like the headache of it all.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #15 of 35

I love sheet cakes!
I also love Sharons new dvd on sheet cakes,that alone shows you how cute they really can be !
Adorable!
I say whatever shape cake makes a person happy is what they should have.
As long as it's well done and taste delicious that's what matters!

SucreSucre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SucreSucre Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #16 of 35

I agree with Sugarshack there's a time and place for all cakes to me. By the way, Sugarshack, I've got to add that new DVD you have to my collection icon_smile.gif

kake4me2 Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:58am
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakainrop

People don't MAKE you feel bad....... YOU make that decision all on your own

I've read Elenor Roosevelt and Trust me I don't feel bad.....others will happily take your sheet cake business, the profits spend the same as every other cakes profits......

kake4me2 Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:01am
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma37

The OP did not say that the comments regarding sheet cakes make them 'feel bad'. They only said that they are tired of the negative comments. There is a difference.

Thanks!!! icon_smile.gif

BTW... your avatar is Lets Bake Cookies logo....courious.... icon_confused.gif

kake4me2 Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

I love cute sheet cakes. ALL types of cakes are awesome, IMO. They all have their rightful place.

Yep and thanks to your new video, I am taking mine to another level!!! Thank you!!!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:12am
post #20 of 35

Well... I will admit... I don't do sheet cakes.... but it's not because I feel "superior" to making them... it's because I don't want my cakes to lok like the sheet cakes from the supermarket and I can't make a sketch of a sheet cake for nothing... I had one that I posted a thread on (they insisted on a sheet cake) and thanks to everyone that helped me here... I was able to make a design that I was happy with... my "thing" is that I am scared of sheet cakes lol.... needless to say when I showed the girl the sketch of the sheet cake... she loved it!!! but upon talking more... and when she saw the price was the same as a nice tiered cake.... we went with the tiered cake....

I have changed my mind SOMEWHAT.... since seeing Sharon's sheetcake DVD..... but I am still not comfortable making them and I never offer/suggest one.... I market my business as a custom cake studio and they give me their theme/colors/idea and I produce a sketch based on what I like.... we then go into any changes they might want....

Maybe the other people that talk about sheetcakes in a negative manner feel the same way... it might not be because it's a sheetcake as much as because is a challenge that we are not familiar with....

hth

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlesticks

I love sheet cakes!
I also love Sharons new dvd on sheet cakes,that alone shows you how cute they really can be !
Adorable!
I say whatever shape cake makes a person happy is what they should have.
As long as it's well done and taste delicious that's what matters!

agree100% and i personally enjoy the variety of creating different kinds of cakes.. stacked, sheet, 3d.... keeps it fun.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:29am
post #22 of 35

I agree. Lots of my clients request sheet cakes, and I don't mind at all serving my clients what THEY want rather than what I want.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #23 of 35

I make sheet cakes all the time.As Indydebi mentioned Thanh Thanh is one of the greatsest inspirations for Exquisite slabs I have ever seen..I also happen to think Sugarchicone is Fantastic also..Her creative designs inspire me!! If it weren't for slab cake s I would have no business!!

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

I don't like to fool with sheet cakes, and here's why. People want to pay me the same amount they would pay a grocery store, and my cakes are worth more than that! But customers just don't see it that way most of the time, they look at wally world's $25.00 sheet cake and then look at yours, even though you used premium ingredients, hand made fondant figures, and all the extras you do to it...and they still can't see the difference. That's why I am trying to get away from them...it's not because I think I'm "better" or anything, just don't like the headache of it all.

This is a pretty good response - I can understand that.

I really don't make cakes for customers "yet" - though my mother did. If she hadn't made sheet cakes though - she would have gone broke. That's just what everyone wanted in our town! Though she also made them special by hand painting them with whatever the customer wanted - almost in a watercolor style. They were pretty neat!

People come to their conclusions about what they should and should not make for different reasons - and hey - maybe that reason is - they are above it. I doubt if Ron Ben Isreal's shop turns out many sheet cakes - and I sure wouldn't expect them to. /shrug Regardless - it doesn't hurt my feelings any - should I ever decide to make a sheet cake for someone.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:33pm
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

I have changed my mind SOMEWHAT.... since seeing Sharon's sheetcake DVD..... but I am still not comfortable making them and I never offer/suggest one.... I market my business as a custom cake studio and they give me their theme/colors/idea and I produce a sketch based on what I like.... we then go into any changes they might want....

Which DVD are you speaking of? SOunds interesting.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #26 of 35

I personally don't care to do them because cusomers and guests liken them to big store bakery cakes and then compare prices. Even when deocorated more elaborately and no stick ons people automatically compare. if a client specifically askes, I will. I just hate for my cakes to be compared, because i know how much time and money I have in mine verses the big store cakes.

indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #27 of 35

I just got back from a quick trip to the drugstore and while at the checkout, I picked up a Haagen Daz ice cream bar for $2.49.

Now I can get chocolate-covered-vanilla-ice-cream-on-a-stick by the dozen at the grocery store for about three bucks. (give or take)

But it's not Haagen Daz. Not even close!

If they want a grocery store cake with grocery store ice cream, then go at it. But if they want Haagen Daz quality .....? That's when they come to us. And true, there are many people, that no matter what, they won't see or understand the difference between $2.49 a dozen and $2.49 a PIECE for ice cream bars.

It's all in the marketing and educating the public on the difference.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:49pm
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Thanh-Thanh is my biggest inspiration on this topic. She has shown that a sheet cake can be made into the most awesome piece of edible art I've ever seen. THAT is talent!!

Is she still a member here? I tried looking up that name under member search, and it says "no match."

indydebi Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:54pm
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Is she still a member here? I tried looking up that name under member search, and it says "no match."

Search using "thanh" and it comes up. Her member name is spelled with no dash and no space: ThanhThanh thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #30 of 35

i would simply posit this:

consider all the famous painters -- Van Gough, Renior, Monet, Manet, Seurat, DaVinci, Michelangelo, Mondrian, Wyeth, etc.

they started with a blank rectangular canvas and gave us glorious breathtaking art.

a sheet cake is the same -- a canvas for art.

(and we get the luxury of being able to carve and reconstruct it to make an even more interesting canvas)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%