Do I Need To Refrigerate???

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 8 May 2010 , 11:20pm by Mencked

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a cake for Mother's Day tomorrow and am getting ready to ice it. Normally I don't refrigerate my cakes. However, I tried a new recipe for frosting I found on here that has heavy cream in it. Should that be refrigerated??? For some reason I remember reading an article that stated that if there is powdered sugar in the recipe it doesn't require being kept cold...it preserves it or something??? But I can no longer find that article.

I'm really tight on space and am hoping the consensus would be "no", but obviously if I have to, I will icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 5

No you don't have to refrigerate. There is a thread titled "icing" that you can read and Doug gives a very defined answer as to why it doesn't require refrigeration.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!!! I found the article very quickly. I had read about the sugar preserving awhile ago on another site, but couldn't find the page I had bookmarked. They didn't go quite into the detail Doug provided. I love understanding the science behind things so thanks again icon_smile.gif

elainem51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainem51 Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

Would you mind giving more details on how to find the article"icing"..... I went under "articles" and typed "icing" in and could not find it....I would love to read and have for reference... Thank you so much..

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 8 May 2010 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%