Imbc Question....coming Out Soupy

Decorating By ramie7224 Updated 8 May 2010 , 10:47pm by mamawrobin

ramie7224 Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 4

I usually make an American buttercream, but my mom thinks its too sweet and I was going to try an IMBC instead. I used a recipe on this site that said to add the sugar syrup to the meringue with the mixer on high speed, but the heat of the sugar liquified the meringue and the speed just flung sticky sweet white liquid all over me and the counter. I had to have done something wrong because I can't imagine this is how it's supposed to go. Any suggestions?

3 replies
mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 4

You pour the hot syrup down the sides of the bowl to add to the egg whites. It will look like cream until it starts to make meringue. It will need to beat for at least 10 minutes before it even starts looking like meringue. Be sure that it's cool to the touch before you start adding the butter. I add my butter straight from the fridge rather than room tempature. I cut it into tablespoon size pieces and add it cold. Just keep beating your icing and wait. It will probably be fine. thumbs_up.gif

ramie7224 Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 4

But do I have to beat it on high speed in the beginning or can I start slowly and increase the speed as it thickens up? At high speed it just keeps jumping out of the KA and making a giant mess! icon_lol.gif

mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie7224

But do I have to beat it on high speed in the beginning or can I start slowly and increase the speed as it thickens up? At high speed it just keeps jumping out of the KA and making a giant mess! icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif Yep. I know what ya mean. I know the receipe says to add it on high but I do turn it down when adding to keep the splash level down. Doen't hurt a thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%