I'm Having A Fondant Disaster Pity Party..wanna Join Me?

Decorating By emrldsky Updated 21 May 2010 , 12:35pm by emrldsky

emrldsky Posted 8 May 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 18

So, I pull out my tub of white Satin Ice, and I start kneading and things look good. I go to pick up the fondant and *riptear*. OI. So I try again and get it on the cake and *RIPTEAR*!

Then I throw a tempter tantrum (because I'm at home and I'm allowed to). Start again, but had to throw out a clump because it had icing on it and that just won't do (white fondant + chocolate icing = grrrrr). So I had to mix the white with the off white, which is no biggie. Go to move again and *RIPTEAR*. Now I'm really throwing a tantrum (DH came to check on me).

So, I've walked away from it, I cried a bit, and I'm just so darned frustrated.

Any suggestions on what I can do? It's my mom's birthday/Mother's Day cake, and the design requires white (not brown/chocolate).

I heard Wilton fondant is tasting pretty good these days. icon_rolleyes.gif

17 replies
Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 18

Aww I feel for you! I have given up on Satin Ice pretty recently too....I switched to FondX.

Can you try your hand at some last minute MMF and then mix it in half with Satin Ice?

emrldsky Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Aww I feel for you! I have given up on pretty recently too....I switched to FondX.

Can you try your hand at some last minute MMF and then mix it in half with ?

I haven't had much luck with MMF. :/ Think Wilton fondant would work OK (mixed with the SI)? Walmart carries it, I think.

The cake doesn't have to be ready until tomorrow, so I'm enjoying the fact that I can walk away right now.

Karen421 Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #4 of 18

I had to use Wilton the other day, my DD try it (because I would not!) She said it was good! (wow!) And it covered the cake very nicely! I didn't mix it with anything, but it did save me!

Good Luck!

tastyart Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #5 of 18

I like to roll it out on a silicone mat that has been lightly smeared with shortening. Then pick up the whole mat with the fondant on it and flip it onto the cake. Carefully peal the silicone mat from the fondant and smooth it down. I can't tell from you post if the fondant is ripping on the cake or before you get it to the cake. I've only used satin ice in black. It was more difficult to use than the homemade version I make. If the wilton fondant will work for you then go ahead and use it. HTH Good luck!

emrldsky Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

I like to roll it out on a silicone mat that has been lightly smeared with shortening. Then pick up the whole mat with the fondant on it and flip it onto the cake. Carefully peal the silicone mat from the fondant and smooth it down. I can't tell from you post if the fondant is ripping on the cake or before you get it to the cake. I've only used in black. It was more difficult to use than the homemade version I make. If the wilton fondant will work for you then go ahead and use it. HTH Good luck!

It was ripping and tearing before I could even move it. I used to do the method you mention above, but I found it easier for me to use corn starch on a mat to roll it out, and then move it with my arms to my cake. I'm not sure why it's easier, just that I seem to get more control.

I bought some Wilton fondant at Walmart. I'm going to try a 50/50 mix tomorrow morning. Good thing I got everything else done today. icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone!!!!

emrldsky Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #7 of 18

So, it could be because I added Wilton, or could be because it isn't raining, but all in all, I got the cake covered with minor tearing (easily fixed, yet creating a back of the cake). icon_smile.gif

Thanks for joining my pity party!!! Until next time.

Bonn1221 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #8 of 18

I so feel your pain! My problem is that the buttercream bulges beneath the fondant and there are these rings around the cake where the layers are...HELP!

Win Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:28am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

So, it could be because I added Wilton, or could be because it isn't raining, but all in all, I got the cake covered with minor tearing (easily fixed, yet creating a back of the cake). icon_smile.gif

Thanks for joining my pity party!!! Until next time.

I've done the 50/50 Wilton to Satin Ice and had good luck as well. And, yes, Wilton has much improved their formula! My only other thought was whether or not you had a ceiling fan going at the time/ Ceiling fans and Satin Ice do not go well together. icon_lol.gif

mcjrix Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #10 of 18

I so feel your pain. I needed to cover a tier in red fondant today so I bougt Satin Ice. It was my first time using it, normally I use MMF but I never have luck coloring it red so I figured I'd buy it already colored. It kept tearing and cracking. Luckily I was able to cover any of the inperfections with decorations, but I sure was frustrated.

emrldsky Posted 14 May 2010 , 9:49am
post #11 of 18

Win - I think I'm going to continue this moving forward until my Satin Ice is gone. I'm just not sure what fondant to buy instead, because Satin Ice IS cheaper (well, not so much if I have to buy Wilton too). :/

mcjrix - Oh that sucks! I don't know what they've done to their formula, but it isn't good.

cakemom42 Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:47am
post #12 of 18

Try rolling the fondant out a bit thicker.. if it's tearing that's the problem it might be the thickness.

Also I use chocopan & love it. :0)

Lastly for competition work I do mix wilton w/chocopan, it gives a nice covering on my dummies & is cheaper than using straight chocopan. For my clients I use only chocopan.

PinkZiab Posted 14 May 2010 , 10:56am
post #13 of 18

I realize I'm coming late to this conversation, but when you try to pick the fondant up as a whole sheet you have gravity working against you. Dust the fondant with a little cornstarch and roll it up onto the rolling pin, and then bring it over to the cake and unroll it right across the cake. This is pretty much standard technique for moving any type of rolled out dough from one place to another. I use Satin Ice exclusively and have never had tearing issues--you could carry it across the room and around the house this way without a problem.

emrldsky Posted 14 May 2010 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I realize I'm coming late to this conversation, but when you try to pick the fondant up as a whole sheet you have gravity working against you. Dust the fondant with a little cornstarch and roll it up onto the rolling pin, and then bring it over to the cake and unroll it right across the cake. This is pretty much standard technique for moving any type of rolled out dough from one place to another. I use exclusively and have never had tearing issues--you could carry it across the room and around the house this way without a problem.

The reason I picked it up with my arms instead of the pin is because the fondant creased and I couldn't get it smooth after. It worked better to drape it over my arms as I could do so without creating the crease.

The entire issue could have been a fluke but I didn't have the time to try it straight last night.

I do appreciate the advice, from everyone. I was just frustrated because I have been using Satin Ice for a couple of years and hadn't had any problems.

And I apologize for any typos. I'm using my iPod.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn1221

I so feel your pain! My problem is that the buttercream bulges beneath the fondant and there are these rings around the cake where the layers are...HELP!

To solve this bulge problem, make sure your dam is really stiff (stiff enough so you can pick up the bc with your hand). Also make sure to only put a very thin crumb coat of bc on your cake before covering it with fondant.

catlharper Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjrix

I so feel your pain. I needed to cover a tier in red fondant today so I bougt . It was my first time using it, normally I use MMF but I never have luck coloring it red so I figured I'd buy it already colored. It kept tearing and cracking. Luckily I was able to cover any of the inperfections with decorations, but I sure was frustrated.

Sounds like you may not have given your cake time to settle (I give it two hours and if I don't have that much time I put a weight on the top to help it settle) then all you have to do is smooth it out. Your filling may not be stiff enough or too much of it. Some people push down on the top of the tier to make it settle out but I don't want to be squishing my cake so I'd rather wait for the weight of the cake to settle out the filling and then just smooth it out before adding the fondant on top.

Find peace of mind in the fact that just about everyone who makes/decorates cakes deals with the bulge and the occassional gas bubbles...SIGH. So we all feel your pain!

Ruth0209 Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:19pm
post #17 of 18

I've used Satin Ice for a long time and never had any trouble with it until lately. I had a heck of a time with it with my last batch. I don't know what they've done with their formula but they'd better get it solved or they're going to lose a bunch of customers, including me. When I'm making a wedding cake, I don't have time to screw with unpredictable fondant. GAA!!!

emrldsky Posted 21 May 2010 , 12:35pm
post #18 of 18

Here are the two cakes I was worried about:

My mom's cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1669722.html (As you can see in the description, I gave full design credit to the original designer, in case anyone was worried. icon_wink.gif )

My friend's wedding cake:   http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1680548.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%