How To Use Wilton's Fondant Letter Cutters?

Decorating By sberryp Updated 23 May 2010 , 9:23pm by sberryp

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 9

I tried to use Wilton's letter cutters and the fondant kept getting stuck in the cutters. What should I do? SHould I just use cookie cutters? Please explain how I can get the letters out without breaking them.

Thanks in advance!

8 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 9

Add some tylose or gumtex to your fondant or use 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. Roll it out thin and let it dry a bit. You can put a bit of shortening on the cutter before using it. Try cutting now.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 9

I ended up making my own tool to remove the fondant from mine and now I use that tool for a lot of different things. What I did was - I tool a piece of dowel about 4" long and slightly sharpened one end (not to a complete point). I then took a sewing pin (the kind with the little colored balls on the end) and pushed the pin about 1/3 of the way into the sharpened end of the dowel. I can now take this tool and get inside of the cutter to push the fondant out. This tool also has come in handy when sculpting. Make the ball on the pin is smooth so you don't leave any marks on your fondant.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 9

I use to have problems with these cutters. Now, I roll out my fondant and allow it to dry for a few minutes before cutting out my letters. I also dip my cutters in cornstarch before each cut. No more trouble with them sticking. thumbs_up.gif I've also noticed that they work much better if your fondant is rolled thin. 1/8 of an inch or so.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2010 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 9

If you have a celboard, this technique doesnt fail. Some people use shiny placemats
for it too, but I prefer the celboard.

Edna icon_smile.gif

sberryp Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 9

Tonedna- i love your youtube videos! Thanks for all of the help, you ladies are truly so helpful.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks Sberryp!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Ocean23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ocean23 Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 9

i have the same cutters and I was having the same problem. Now I roll out my fondant on a plastic mat covered in shortening to hold it in place and then dip the cutters in cornstarch. Works like a charm.

sberryp Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the suggestions. I used the shortening and cornstarch and the worked like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%