Cinnamon Vanilla Wedding Cake With Fondant??

Decorating By tal Updated 8 May 2010 , 5:36pm by Edit

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 5

I found this delicious cinnamon vanilla cake on Foodnetwork and want to use it for a 3 tiered cake....but I'm not sure if it could withstand fondant???? it isn't as strong as a pound cake, but reminds me of a box mix cake....

I don't have time to experiment with the fondant (satin ice)....could someone determine this answer by reading the ingreds????

Here it is....Cinnamon Vanilla Cake:

* 2 sticks butter
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 large eggs
* 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup whole milk
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream the butter in a stand mixer until smooth and light. Add sugar and continue to mix until fully incorporated and fluffy.

Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine milk and vanilla. Add portions of the flour mixture and milk mixture to the electric mixer, alternating, starting and ending with flour. Pour evenly into 2 buttered and floured 9-inch cake pans.

Bake for 40 minutes or until golden - cake should pull away from the side and spring back to the touch.

Frost cake and decorate as desired.

Much appreciated if anyone could help!

4 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 5

I think any cake can hold fondant, but then I refrigerate first and it chills nice and firm no matter what it is, especially with buttercream on it.

Sounds nice!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 5

I wouldn't risk an untested cake for someones wedding. If it goes wrong, u owe a big refund, and leave one upset couple behind. If ur judgement is that when u made it, it seemed not to be dense enough, trust that judgement.
xx

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 5

I've never heard of cake not being dense enough for fondant. If proper supports are used for the tiers, the cake isn't bearing any weight, anyway.

However you should definitely test it as far as flavor and consistency if they are pleasing or not.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 5

The proportions remind me of the 1:2:3:4 cake, which is delicious and stable. Do not use any recipe though in a wedding cake, that you haven't tested yourself. Make a small test cake and find out if it works well for you. Then go from there. If you have a reliable yellow cake recipe, you can always put that cinnamon it it with the vanilla and there you have it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%