Looking For Some Advice....

Decorating By LittleFox09 Updated 8 May 2010 , 6:53pm by Occther

LittleFox09 Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 12

Hello all. I am new to the cake decorating world and could use some advice. Currently I am looking at purchasing a stand mixer. However, I have seen different opinions on them. What do you like/dislike about your stand mixer? Would you buy the same one again or a different one? What suspplies are MUST haves in your opinion? Also, what are your favorite websites to purchase your supplies from? I have a TON of websites saved and I usally add more each day. Thanks for all of your help. Im super excited to get this venture going. Baking is so much fun and is very relaxing.

11 replies
Joybeth Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 12

I LOVE my kitchen aid mixer! I have been doing cakes for three years and I am still on my first mixer! I bought it used at an auction. This mixer is well over 10 yrs old...(cooky green color too...lol) it works fantastic. I know people have had problems with the newer ones but I love mine!!!

Spuddysmom Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 12

Just starting out your hobby? Gotta have a Kitchen Aid. Global Sugar Art has excellent customer service and a great place to "start dreaming", sometimes a little pricey for me though.

tastyart Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 12

I also have a kitchenaid and love it. I have the big 6qt beast and use it all the time. My husband teases me about dimming the neighborhood lights when I use it icon_biggrin.gif Another tool that I use on EVERY cake is a turntable.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 12

Love my KitchenAid mixer! It reaches every part of the bowl which is awesome!

jenmat Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 12

i do use my kitchenaid for many things, however, I recently bought a plain old sunbeam because the kitchenaid was putting too many airpockets in my icing, plus the bowl is too big when I need to beat small amounts of cream, or only a few egg whites.
So, now I make my icing, let it sit for a day, then re-whip in the Sunbeam, and I've never been so happy.

mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 12

I have a Sunbeam because I can't afford a KA icon_lol.gif . I use it to make buttercream and fondant. I use Michele Foster's Fondant receipe and the Sunbeam does just fine for me. If you can afford it I'd buy the KA. If you don't or can't spend that much the Sunbeam isn't such a bad product. I've had mine for almost a year and I've never had any issues with it.

justducky Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 12

I have two KA's. The small one I have had for 20 years. The large one I received for Christmas four years ago (used). I know they are more expensive at first to purchase, but you won't buy another one for a long time.

prterrell Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:08pm
post #9 of 12

I have the KA Pro 600. Have had it for over 7 years and never a problem. Love it! The only thing I would do different is if I had an actual shop, a Hobart would be a must.

LittleFox09 Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone! I have been leaning towards the KA or a Cuisinart. Bed Bath & Beyond is always sending me 20% off coupons so if I go with a more expensive brand then I can save a little cash. There are so many different gadgets that I want to buy. I do have a turntable that I love. I am very new at this but, its something I have always wanted to make a hobby out of it. BC roses used to scare me to death and when I made the first one and it looked pretty good I told myself "Ive got this, I can do this". Lol i know silly but it boosted my confidence. Im hoping that someday I can find a bakery to work in or have my own bakery. icon_smile.gif [/list]

tastyart Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 12

I thought of another tool that I use all the time. I have a cake leveler. I can't cut straight by hand so this tool is fabulous. I just have an inexpensive one from wilton.

Occther Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 12

Was told that there are problem with Cuisinart mixers. But I love my Cuisinart food processor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%