Mixer Question

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 8 May 2010 , 3:06pm by mamawrobin

Maria925 Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 3

I've been baking for years using a hand held mixer. I decided this year to focus on learning more "professional" decorating techniques in hopes of one day owning my own business. So, I went and purchased a stand mixer. Since I'm just starting out and on a tight budge, I purchased a Sunbeam mixer. I know it's not the caliber of a Kitchen Aid, but figured it was a good place to start.

So my question...when I mix things everything is on the side of the bowl. Right now I'm creaming sugar/butter and all the mixture is spread out to the bottom sides of the bowl. This seems like a silly question, but is it supposed to do that??? I'm used to using the hand held to get every nook and cranny mixed so this is strange to me. Is it really mixing correctly???

2 replies
tastyart Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 3

Most stand mixers do that. I have a kitchenaid and it does that too. I recently got a side-swipe blade for my mixer and I love it. It scrapes the sides and bottom of the bowl as it mixes. I don't know if there are such attachments for a sunbeam, but it might be worth checking. Before I had the side-swipe I just stoped the mixer a few times in the mixing process and scraped the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. HTH

mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 3

I have a Sunbeam (can't afford the KA) and when mine does that I move the lever all the way to the right and reposition the bowl. Try and see if that helps. I use mine to make buttercream and fondant. I make Michele Foster's Fondant and it works just fine for me. I'd love to have a KA but until this one breaks I'll keep using it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%