::skids into post::

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

47 replies
simplehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplehappy Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:47am
post #2 of 48

Just finished a dozen hamburger cupcakes for a friend...they are in the fridge and I am so happy! No other orders until Tuesday morning- spending the weekend with my mama! Yay!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 48

Working on baking 3 10" square cakes for tomorrow. Need to do a combined cake for Mother's Day and 2 adult birthdays - 1 male and 1 female. Doesn't need to be gender specific and have no names.

I'm not sure how to decorate it - I was thinking of a gift box but not sure how to decorate it. Any ideas?

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #4 of 48

1 oval dark chocolate mocha cake with caramel macchiato coffee buttercream covered in Tiffany blue MMF and brush embroidery. For my mom.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #5 of 48

I've got 2 wedding cakes pretty much done. (1 100% done, 1 95% done). Starting the 3rd one now. Well, starting decorating as in currently making icing. The groom's cake however is gonna be a "challenge."

Took several hours off to go to the theater with DH to see Colin Moqurie and Brad Sherwood, from Who's line is it anyway? Those guys are FUNeeeee!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 48

Yes, I'm up. Had a complete hip replacement 9 days ago. Already had 6 very large cakes on the books and 4 weddings for this weekend. and it is just my baker, my assistant and myself.

My assitant is fantastic. Been with me almost a year. But, cant, do scroll work, gompaste bows etc.

So, was really stressed before surgery. Until I figured out and I could do all gumpaste 3 weeks in advance.

And bless my hubby's heart. He has been bringing me cakes home from the shop that have base coat, I scroll etc. and he takes back to the shop.

He is due home in a few minutes with the last cake ready for me to stencil damask on fondant.

So, one last cake for the night!!!

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 48

Working on my last nerve, trying to get the stupid jars of CK petal/luster dusts open. I ended up with one good-sized blister on the side of my finger, try to pry the #@$! open. Finally got the burgundy dust open with a knife lid, only with such force that 1/3 of the dust flew out, settling on the pastel pink roses that were supposed to go on the Mother's Day cake I'm making. Ended up with so much dust on them that I had no choice but to pitch 'em.

Feeling completely frustrated-- how dumb must I be, to not be able to open a puny little jar of dust!!! icon_mad.gif

Oh well. Let's move on to the good stuff y'all are doing tonight...

leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #8 of 48

mpetty - two words "church key".

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:07am
post #9 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty

Working on my last nerve, trying to get the stupid jars of CK petal/luster dusts open. I ended up with one good-sized blister on the side of my finger, try to pry the #@$! open. Finally got the burgundy dust open with a knife lid, only with such force that 1/3 of the dust flew out, settling on the pastel pink roses that were supposed to go on the Mother's Day cake I'm making. Ended up with so much dust on them that I had no choice but to pitch 'em.

Feeling completely frustrated-- how dumb must I be, to not be able to open a puny little jar of dust!!! icon_mad.gif

Oh well. Let's move on to the good stuff y'all are doing tonight...

OH MY, this is me so many times! Why do they make them in the impossible-to-open little containers? I just was thinking I'm gonna transfer them into some better containers, like maybe the ones you can take salsa in at for expample B*ja Fr*sh?
On topic, I absolutely butsed my rear doing 2 cakes yesterday on top of my regular job. So I'm taking a well needed rest tonight, then leisurely making a Mother's Day cake tomorrow for Sunday.

leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #10 of 48

Several years ago when I had an assistant, we were using some of those little containers of dust. I casually reached up to the magnetic strip where the tools are, grabbed the church key, a/k/a beer bottle opener and flipped open the top of the container. My assistant looked at me in total amazement.

"Whaaaaaat?" said I.

"I never knew how to get those dang containers open", said he.

"Watch and learn grasshopper."

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #11 of 48

I'm trying to make a 57 Chevy cake for my DH whose birthday is on Mother's day. I may be in way over my head with this one icon_surprised.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #12 of 48

!!!! YOU JUST ROCKED thumbs_up.gif MY WORLD LEAH !!!

mpetty Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

!!!! YOU JUST ROCKED thumbs_up.gif MY WORLD LEAH !!!

Yeah, mine too!!! And thanks for explaining what a church key is. icon_confused.gif

Now I won't rest until I find the one laying around here somewhere... icon_lol.gif

leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:25am
post #14 of 48

Sometimes it IS the little things.

mpetty Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #15 of 48

Oh my word, it worked! (Not that I would doubt you, Leah, just my own clumsy gene.) I had to work at it a bit, but it came off in like 5 seconds. And seriously, I worked at least a full 15 minutes trying to get it off earlier.

My blister thanks you! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:37am
post #16 of 48

::grinning::

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:47am
post #17 of 48

Delivered a wedding cake and did a two tiered square buttercream cake (which I've already griped about so will not in this thread haha) and a freebie 6" anniversary cake with added baby in a flower on top, the hub requested since they are expecting a baby boy.

Tomorrow is catch-up-on-dirty-house day. *sigh*

leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #18 of 48

Where is everybody?

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren715

I'm trying to make a 57 Chevy cake for my DH whose birthday is on Mother's day. I may be in way over my head with this one icon_surprised.gif

what you having problems with? I made one, you can look in my pics, maybe that will help. I made it nearly 3 months ago or so.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:06am
post #20 of 48

Working on details for an open-bible First Holy Communion cake -delivery tomorrow. I wondered how to fill it since it's my first time using this old pan (no markings on it). I just placed it on top of a 10X15 with a layer of filling, and trimmed it to the same size -easy! icon_smile.gif

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #21 of 48

Just finished my mother's day cake for tomorrow. The tub cake in my photos. Was a first for me with this type of cake. I really enjoyed working on it and making all the pieces.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #22 of 48

Well, I just finished my last assignment for my master's in special ed class, now off to work on two college graduation cakes. One is a two tier white buttercream with red scroll work and fondant ribbons around the bases, fondant grad. cap, diploma, and plaque. The other is for a man who is graduating from Lyons college, going to do the sheild an a square simple/but elegant cake. Next week I have 9 cakes, can we say, busy, busy, busy. they range from topsy turvey, to a rubics cube, to graduation, to baby shower, can we say aaaaaaaahhhhhh already !!!!

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #23 of 48

This is my first visit to the Friday Night Cake Club. I'm working on another daisy bouquet cake with the ladybugs (like the one in my photos). Still have to throw together a Mother's Day Cake for our family get together.

And I am totally freaking out about next week. Petit fours for my child's graduation reception on the 18th. I wish I had just ordered them from someone but there is NO ONE local to do them. UGH!!!

leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:28am
post #24 of 48

Yeah, petit fours are a PITA. Best of luck with them.

Next week is busy for me two. Only two weddings, but a corporate order for 130 cupcakes plus a party cake and getting ready for a candy buffet the following week.

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:30am
post #25 of 48

soooo sleepy. Have 7 cakes for this weekend...6 are done but the last one is kicking my behind. My cousin always tries to challenge me with a cake for her birthday...yeah um she is 15. So she asked for a 3D Hedwig from Harry Potter. Body is carved, and the dowels are covered with chocolate so now all to do is get the gumpaste feathers on...but think I am headin to bed early. Have a religious function at my house tomorrow and it is covered with everything, so looks like I will finish tomorrow night.

Get some sleep everybody =)

SunshineSally Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:37am
post #26 of 48

I would gladly trade 130 cupcakes for the PITA these petit fours. I still haven't convinced myself that I won't do mini cupcakes instead. These are 5 year olds afterall and it is a donation!

I've never heard of a candy buffet. Would you mind sharing what that entails? BTW, love your damask wedding cake! I can't imagine how long it took to cut all of that fondant.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:38am
post #27 of 48

i'm working on a two tier coconut cake with MMF for my BF's 30th birthday party tomorrow. She bought herself a horse for her birthday, so i wanted to do a western saddle theme, but i'm feeling more sleepy than inspired. And I forgot to make the white chocolate ganache i wanted to try under the MMF (i've been converted after too many buttercream muffin tops without the ganache). I think it will be a long night, or a very early morning.

leah_s Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:47am
post #28 of 48

www.LouisvilleCandyBuffet.com should explain it.

Petit fours for kids? No waaaaay, baby! They're kids. If it's got icing on it and perhaps sprinkles, they'll love it.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:00am
post #29 of 48

www.divinedelights.com has some really adorable Petits Fours

SunshineSally Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:02am
post #30 of 48

leah_s, thank you so much for saying that!!! I have been thinking that same thing for a week now and now I feel much better!!! I know there will be parents and grandparents there also but I think I can decorate the mini cupcakes much cuter than petit fours. Thank you so much for making me feel better about that! So glad I checked out the Friday Night Cake club!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I have had the intention of sending you a PM to tell you that you have a twin in Birmingham, AL. Your personalities are even similiar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%