Need Help!! Numbers On Top Of Cake

Decorating By aprilblack Updated 8 May 2010 , 2:16am by Kitagrl

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #1 of 6

I am trying to put a 16 on the top of a cake. Was going to use modeling chocolate, but that is way too soft and wont hold up. Is there a way to firm this up? Can I do fondant instead? This cake is due tomorrow so help!! Thanks so much!

5 replies
onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:48am
post #2 of 6

gumpaste. roll it kinda thick. dry then set up on cake.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:51am
post #3 of 6

You need to use gumpaste. Stick toothpicks in the bottom of each number so you have something to stick into the cake to make the numbers stand up. If you put the numbers on a wooden cutting board and stick them in the oven on the top shelf with the light on and door closed, they'll dry faster.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 6

thanks so much!!

Montrealconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Montrealconfections Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 6

I just finished a cake with a 16 on it tonight http://www.flickr.com/photos/montrealcookies/4587385145/ made the numbers on Tuesday out of gum paste I really don't think your numbers will be dry for tomorrow. Your best bet is to make some cookie pops which you could then insert in your cake. Here is a cake I did with the cookie numbers http://www.flickr.com/photos/montrealcookies/4452546474/

Good luck, Marlyn

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #6 of 6

I actually forgot to make a "2" for the top of my Abby cake I just uploaded....I rolled a sausage of pink gumpaste around a thin doubled up florist wire and shaped the 2...let it dry overnight...then put it into the cake (I had added a couple toothpicks to the base) and let that sit until pickup. As far as I know, it made it!!! The wire inside helped support it as it dried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%