Do You Usually Tort A Sheet Cake?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 11 May 2010 , 4:24am by chellescountrycakes

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 32

I've actually never made a sheet cake before, and am going to attempt one next week for a friend. I was curious, though, if you tort it normally?

31 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 32

I don't.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 32

I never have. I have heard of people doing it but it sounds like a lot of trouble to me! icon_razz.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 32

I never torte anything.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 32

I never have.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 32

I do all the time :0)
My customers love it!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 32

Yes, most of my cakes have been sheet cakes and 99.9% of them are torted.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #8 of 32

I was wondering the same thing! I've torted all the sheet cakes I've made. But then I would eat others and they never were and was wondering why? I like the extra frosting personally icon_smile.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #9 of 32

My sheet cakes are all two layers with filling. I think it makes them more special than just your typical grocery store sheet cake. I don't torte them, I bake them as two separate layers.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #10 of 32

Hi ~ I've always torted sheet cakes. I think they look and taste better with that extra filling.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:18am
post #11 of 32

I torte , only, if the customer wants filling. Some don,t want filling. I bake one layer, 2 inches tall. I don,t consider mine grocery store cakes. Mine are made from scratch. I decorate more than a grocery store does. I don,t make just b/c roses,etc. I make people, animals, etc. Mine usually tell a story of their life,etc. They pay according to what they want on their cake. If they wanted 2 layers stacked, then i would charge more. If they have the money, honey, then i got the time.lol

Spectra Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #12 of 32

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! icon_smile.gif

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #13 of 32

I do, but it's a pain.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

If they have the money, honey, then i got the time.lol

icon_lol.gif love this...and I agree!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:27am
post #15 of 32

I tort and fill everything. As a cake lover and eater I'd feel short changed with out filling!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:56am
post #16 of 32

I always have.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #17 of 32

I always do. The best part of the cake is the filling. Besides, it's one of the many things that distinguish a custom cake from a grocery store cake.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #18 of 32

I always torte. I love filling!!!

Here's a tip (learned the hard way!): When handling a torted cake, it really helps to have it chilled or even slightly frozen.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 32

I torte all my single layers so that the final appearance shows it 4 inches high.I am upfront with them about it being a single layer and NOT double unless they pay for a double layer cake which yields more servings.I have never had a problem and the cakes looks high and full.I like it better than the skinny layer you see in the grocery store.It takes more time and more icing but worth it!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #20 of 32

I torte if I use the 2 inch high pans. Sometimes I use the regular 1/2 sheet 1 inch pans and I bake three layers so there are 2 layers filling. Depends on what they customer wants.

Other than sheets I torte EVERYTHING

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:34am
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I torte , only, if the customer wants filling. Some don,t want filling. I bake one layer, 2 inches tall. I don,t consider mine grocery store cakes. Mine are made from scratch. I decorate more than a grocery store does. I don,t make just b/c roses,etc. I make people, animals, etc. Mine usually tell a story of their life,etc. They pay according to what they want on their cake. If they wanted 2 layers stacked, then i would charge more. If they have the money, honey, then i got the time.lol

I'm with you on this. Only if my client asks for it. Really do disagree that if you don't torte that your cakes are same as grocery store cakes though.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #22 of 32

I guess I should have said that it's one more way that I use to distinguish my cakes from grocery store cakes. I did not say that if you don't torte that your cakes are the same as grocery store cakes. Didn't mean to get everyone's icing bags in a twist.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:43am
post #23 of 32

okay, stupid question, me baking 2 cakes, (sheet cakes), putting frosting between them and slapping them together is torting? I dont have to put fruit or jam or pudding or a flaming dessert in there??

Spectra Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #24 of 32

Torting is when you take a cake, cut it in the middle, so it's like two cakes or more, and filling it with whatever your heart desires, such as icing. You bake two separate cakes and put them together, well you can also tort, or cut, each layer of those two cakes in the middle horizontally so that in the end you actually have 4 layers. It's just a way to make the cake bigger, and to make it more special. You could even have different fillings in each layer, etc. Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

My sheet cakes are all two layers with filling. I don't torte them, I bake them as two separate layers.

Ditto, for me!

Spectra Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #26 of 32

Kake and Shelle may I ask how much batter you use in your pans since you fill two pans to make your cake? Do you just fill them half-way?

kake4me2 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

Didn't mean to get everyone's icing bags in a twist.

LOVE THIS SAYING!!!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #28 of 32

Yep. I bake two layers and slap em together with a filling. I like filling in my cake, more nummy goodness!!!!

kake4me2 Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:01am
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra

Kake and Shelle may I ask how much batter you use in your pans since you fill two pans to make your cake? Do you just fill them half-way?

I ususally do 3/4 full, however its a lot of cake(more servings). I will do 1/2 full if I need fewer servings. (I always use the flower nail with baking strips method so I don't end up with too skinny of layers.)

Spectra Posted 11 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #30 of 32

Awesome! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%