What Technique Was Used On This Cake?

Decorating By amytracy1981 Updated 12 May 2010 , 4:40am by apetricek

amytracy1981 Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 11

My friend wants me to make this cake for her and I was just wondering what technique was used on the white frosting? I can't quite tell it kinda looks to me like the Wilton technique "Sotas" or maybe "Cornelli Lace"?? What do you guys think? Is it something else?? And how do you get the icing gel for the water so smooth over buttercream like that? Wouldn't it smear the buttercream underneath if you smoothed it on with a spatula? And what is that at the top of the cake behind the water that the hula people are standing on? Is that supposed to be a mountain? Oh and how do you get the waves in the water like that?

Sorry for all the questions icon_redface.gif

Thanks in advance!

10 replies
anamado Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #2 of 11

Seems to me like its a very roughly cornelli lace technique

amytracy1981 Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 11

Anyone have any idea how to do the water??

Tinacakes Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 11

the white frosting looks sandy to me, looks like Nonpareils were added to the frosting, the water looks airbrushes. i do my water with blue tinted piping gel

amytracy1981 Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 11

Do you just smooth the piping gel on with a spatula over the buttercream? It doesn't smear the buttercream?

amytracy1981 Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #6 of 11


armywife1 Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #7 of 11

Hmmm, to me the waterfall looks like some thinly rolled fondant draped down the cake. In order to get the water 'glossy' looking, they might have used a steamer and gave it a once or twice over steam. If it is fondant, then the 'waves' at the bottom of the fall would just be some BC kind of smeared to look like water crashing.

armywife1 Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #8 of 11

I just went to their website. They have another waterfall cake and that one definitely had gel used for the water. Maybe this one is gel as well. I'm not familiar with gel. I've never used it on my cakes, other than to do a gel transfer. Maybe you have to lightly spread it once your BC is completely crusted over?? I know that gel becomes 'tacky' after it's been exposed to the air for a while. Maybe that is the case and then they put the BC waves at the bottom. I'm just kind of guessing here. icon_smile.gif

chellescountrycakes Posted 12 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #9 of 11

I use piping gel for water all the time. I put on the BC, and dont really get it smooth (more depth if its kinda bumpy) let it crust. THEN, I take my piping gel, tint it blue, and just start globbing it on with a spoon. when I have it all over, I will fill in any gaps with the back of the spoon. just kinda 'rubbing' it.

I make a 'pond' once, where it wasnt wavy, and it was easy to glob it on and smooth it down with the spoon. icon_smile.gif

I dont think that is fondant, because its whiter/thinner in some places. But they didnt glob it on like I did.

armywife1 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #10 of 11
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

I dont think that is fondant, because its whiter/thinner in some places. But they didnt glob it on like I did.

I agree. That's why I changed my second answer to gel. I did notice the white underneath the second time I viewed the picture.

apetricek Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #11 of 11

I did a water fall before, and I covered the entire cake with buttercream, then chilled to let it set up...I then rolled a thin piece of blue fondant and draped it down the tiers of the cake. I then took piping get tinted slightly blue and brushed it on the fondant. I then added shells, flowers, etc to cover where the fondant and the icing came together...hope this helps...I can email you the picture if you PM me your email..

Quote by @%username% on %date%