Licensing And Renting Question

Business By QueenMo Updated 8 May 2010 , 10:23pm by QueenMo

QueenMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenMo Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 9

how do i get a liscense or certification or something, a piece of paper that says I am a decorator? i mean, being good at something is great and all, but these days people want to see paper.

can anyone tell me about renting out a kitchen for a baking business without actually having an establishment? does that make sense? i don't make cakes on a regular basis but i know that legally i can't bake from home to sell.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #2 of 9

That's odd ... in 30 years I've never had anyone ask me to see some kind of diploma, certificate or anything else that proves I'm a decorator. Who's asking and why?

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #3 of 9

Yeah who wants it? I've never had anyone ask Me either

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 1:17am
post #4 of 9

Hmmm nope nobody has ever asked to see mine either....

QueenMo Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 9

oh honestly i didn't know the importance of it. i was just wondering if it was necessary or not! I figured if it's easier to get jobs when you have a degree, i thought maybe the same rules applied to cake decorating, which i now see is a magical land where talent gets you pretty far without paper, eh? icon_smile.gif

QueenMo Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 9

also i'm really interested in hearing some about renting out another kitchen to use and if it's possible. a chef i worked under formally said you could rent out certified kitchens but i'm not sure how that works.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMo

oh honestly i didn't know the importance of it. i was just wondering if it was necessary or not! I figured if it's easier to get jobs when you have a degree, i thought maybe the same rules applied to cake decorating, which i now see is a magical land where talent gets you pretty far without paper, eh? icon_smile.gif

Oh, that kinda clears up some of my confusion ...... so no one was actually asking to see something from you, then?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 9

"...is a magical land where talent gets you pretty far without paper?" I really don't think there's anything "magical" about it. I don't know about anyone else, but when I applied for my job as a decorator I wasn't ask for a piece of paper or even my portifolio but was given a cake and ask to decorate it. Actually I was give two cakes. A 1/4 sheet cake and a 9 inch round two layer cake. My employer wanted to see what I could produce rather than a piece of paper saying I knew how to decorate. In this business the "proof's in the pudding" or cake in this matter. You either can or you can't. Your validation is your work.

To answer your question on renting a kitchen. I know that some do and use a website as their "store". I don't know whether or not the rules vary from state to state or not concerning rented kitchens. To find out what the requirements are in your area you can contact your local health department.

QueenMo Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 9

oh, well i've been going from job to job and i'm still very interested in culnary arts but i've been toying with getting a degree in one of the other subjects i'm interested in, i was curious to see if it worked the same way. and by "magical", i was mostly joking, but i just think it's very reassuring that talent is appreciated. I know alot of people who have talent in their fields but since they can't produce paper. but thanks for the responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%