Needing Help With This Cake Order!

Decorating By selfconclusion12 Updated 7 May 2010 , 9:56pm by selfconclusion12

selfconclusion12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selfconclusion12 Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 15

Hey everyone,

I am hoping I can get some help!

I am doing a cake similar to the one below.

A few questions..

She wants off white buttercream. My butter cream still does come out pretty white, and I know it may be a stupid question, but what should I do to get an off white?

As for the shells, I was going to do white/beige chocolate shells. I have found the molds so I am all good there. Just concerned about not being able to find off white chocolate...What can be done if all I can find is white? Mix in a bit of regular chocolate?

As for the starfish, any ideas??? I have NO idea!

And the coral, it looks like it may be white chocolate pipped into a bunch of squiggly's and dried? Does this sound right? Anyone have any other suggestions on the coral?

Thanks so much for all your help!
LL

14 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 15

The secret to perfect ivory icing is regular vanilla (not the clear kind). I usually use 3-4 tbsp for a full batch in my 5 qt mixer. I did this is the cake in my avatar. I would do the same thing for your chocolate shells (I would use candy melts instead of real chocolate).

As for the coral; I would do either candy melts or royal icing and pipe onto wax paper and peel off.

HAVE FUN!! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 15

Here is a cake I did with coral similar to that, all I did was pipe it out with white candy melts onto wax paper, let it set up and dusted with luster dust

As for the shells, I've made some using a tough of milk choc. added and it will color it to a nice ivory color....just literally add a touch of it at a time though, it doesn't take much!

As for the frosting I was going to suggest regular vanilla extract too....it really does color it to a nice ivory color....could also just add "ivory" icing color as well if you wanted to go even darker.

The cake in the photo is gorgeous!!! AS for starfish, they have molds for those too!
LL

selfconclusion12 Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks that is so helpful!! I believe she does was real chocolate shells. What would be the pros and cons of using candy melts vs chocolate? Do they taste similar?

Thanks!!

selfconclusion12 Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 15

You were both so helpful!! Candy melts, never even thought of that!!! Would luster dust be good to use for the shells to?? I wonder if they sell that @ Micheals or AC moore.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 15

I agree, using brown vanilla will make ivory frosting.

White chocolate isn't really a pure white, it's more of an ivory color. Put it next to something that's really white and you'll see.

They probably used candy melts for the coral, see how it's whiter than the rest? It's really easy to do with either candy melts or white chocolate. It will have a flat side unless you peel it off the waxed paper when it's hardened, turn it over and pipe on the other side.

A tiny bit of white pearl dust on the shells will really add to the look.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #7 of 15

I agree with Mug and Tina on adding regular vanilla extract to get the ivory. Tina that's one georgeous cake. thumbs_up.gif

selfconclusion12 Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 15

P.S. your cake is stunning!! I love that!

selfconclusion12 Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 15

Oh great!! I really feel like I am on the right track icon_smile.gif This is my first wedding cake so I am pretty excited about it! I have two weeks!

selfconclusion12 Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 15

KH--I saw that website! I was thinking I may be able to make those out of fondant myself!! I am not exactly sure how they got the markings in the star fish though, Maybe a sponge? Any ideas?

KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 15

I think they did it with a mold honestly!

KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 15

check this out, the molds have the indentations and everything

http://www.cakesuppliesdepot.com/STARFISH-CHOCOLATE-MOLD_p_1203.html

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:54pm
post #14 of 15

I made my own mold for starfish. I picked up actual starfish from Michaels (3 different sizes in a pack). Washed and dried them, dusted really well with cornstarch and then pressed them into a ball of gumpaste to make an impression. Let it set up for a little bit and then remove the starfish and let dry completely. Once dry, use fondant or gumpaste and press into the mold. Perfect starfish! I made a few of them since they will eventually break since you are constantly pressing on them...but it was an easy way to do them and pretty cheap to do.

selfconclusion12 Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

check this out, the molds have the indentations and everything

http://www.cakesuppliesdepot.com/STARFISH-CHOCOLATE-MOLD_p_1203.html

Thanks SO much!! All these molds will be so helpful and only $2.50!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%