Cake Board Wrapping

Decorating By bjm53 Updated 8 May 2010 , 10:31pm by Kitagrl

bjm53 Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone. I have been trying to find something to wrap my cake boards with. Something that isn't so easy to rip when the cake is being cut. It would be nice if it was solid white in color. I have seen some boards on here that look as though they are wrapped with a white, plasticky material, but I don't know what it would be called.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you

9 replies
TheCakerator Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 10

I think a lot of people on here use paper, like wrapping paper, scrapbook paper, etc and then cover it up in food safe clear contact paper.

tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 10

You can use white freezer paper or buy the cake drums that are pre wrapped.

KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 10

I've also seen people use those plastic tablecloths too!

_christina_ Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 10

At the bakery I worked at we used cloth. Go to any fabric store and find a pattern/color you enjoy or goes with them. Cut it to size just larger than board and then use hot glue gun to glue fabric to underside of board.

You fold and stretch fabric so it is really smooth and clean. You then use heavy duty tape the secure fabric ends and sit nicely. Works wonderful, doesn't tear and can be removed to reuse board is wanted.

mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 10

I've used fabric, plastic tablecloths, wrapping paper (covered with clear contact paper) and freezer paper (shiny side up). I've noticed that the freezer paper doesn't usually even have knife marks on it after cutting the cake.

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 10

i think they sell contact paper in solid white.

bjm53 Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

Wow...thank you very much, everyone! Your advice has helped me a lot and is very much appreciated.
Happy cake decorating!
Brenda

KCC Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 10

I just bought my first box of freezer paper and it is worth every penny!! I tape it to the back then cover the whole back with clear packing tape. I really think that it gives a very nice look to your boards. thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 10

Actually I use florist foil....but then I put any cake on its own board...and then attach the cake-on-board to the florist-foil-covered board with double sided carpet tape.

That way you are never cutting into the foil....and I order tons of different colors of the florist foil, and its easy to wrap the boards with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%