Perfectly Square Cake

Decorating By softgreenside Updated 11 May 2010 , 5:40pm by softgreenside

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 13

Hi.
Wondering how i get a perfectly square cake? I have a wedding cake in October and the bride wants a crisp square tiered cake.

Thoughts?

Normally mine come out with a rounded edge as opposed to a straight edge.
LL

12 replies
Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 13

This sticky posted by Rylan has great tutorials. It's really helped me. thumbs_up.gif
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 13

This might help:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/109/how-to-frost-a-square-cake

there are some tutorials on youtube too

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 13

what kind of pans are you using?

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 13

I'm failing miserably too. I realize part of the reason is that I'm usng the wilton square pans which really don't have a square edge. Had I known I would have purchased the magic line pans. I'll have to keep practicing!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 13

I found some pans at Wal-mart, in the pots and pans asile, that are perfectly square. They cost $11.00 each but well worth it. I can't remember the name brand but they are heavy, good quality pans. The sticker on them said "commercial grade". I noticed that they didn't fit inside of one another so I went ahead and bought them. Glad I did because they do have a perfect straight edge. Something my Wilton square pans don't have.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 13

thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 13

well the pans shouldn't matter as much if you get the trick on getting those sharp edges done with your buttercream...

I have the wilton pans (so that's what I have until I can buy more... and the ones with the sharper edges) but I get perfect edges because of how I do my buttercream coat....

hth

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

well the pans shouldn't matter as much if you get the trick on getting those sharp edges done with your buttercream...

I have the wilton pans (so that's what I have until I can buy more... and the ones with the sharper edges) but I get perfect edges because of how I do my buttercream coat....

hth

You're absolutely right. Even with straight edges after baking ya have to work that buttercream thumbs_up.gif

emjay83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emjay83 Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 13

Another option would be to bake a cake one size larger than needed and trim it down to size. Then you will not only get nice crisp edges to work with, but it eliminates the possiblity of any dry corners that can sometimes occur with square cakes. Best of luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #11 of 13

Trim the sides of the cake and it won't matter what shape the cake pans are.

When you ice it, use a smoother from the outside corner to the inside of the cake and work work, work the edges.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 13

Nobody is perfect....the photo in the top post, the bottom left hand side of the bottom tier has the corner slanted funny. icon_smile.gif

Just had to do buttercream squares today and it was a pain in the butt, esp as I used crusting buttercream which I can never mix without air bubbles so the surface of my icing is not great. GRRR.

I have a noncrusting recipe that smooths alot nicer but the customer wanted the crusting...which I agree tastes better too but I never like the look of it.

I've tried mixing the ingredients different, doing it like Edna, etc...no luck. Maybe its my 6 qt mixer.

BUT a 6 inch putty/spackle knife works wonders for corners on square cakes!!!!

softgreenside Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
softgreenside Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks Everyone! I had done some research and i had thought about trimming the cakes and baking them in bigger pans. The tutorials look really good thanks for sharing. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%