Help With Stacked Cake

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 7 May 2010 , 8:57pm by KHalstead

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone!
I need some help with this grooms cake I am making as I am typing....

My sister wanted me to make a 2 - 12 inch layers, and then 2 - 10 inch layers. She wanted them stacked using the Wilton Columns.

The problem is I didn't realize that you were supposed to have the plates 2 inches larger than the cakes, so my 10 inch plate and the cake are exactly the same size!!! Will this matter???

Thanks

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 5

I always use the plate the same size as the cake......the only time you want it larger is if you're adding the tuk-n-ruffle under the cake! (please tell me you're not adding the tuk-n-ruffle?)

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 5

No.... not sure what the Tuk and Ruffle even is?? I had wanted the plate to be a little larger so that I could add some truffles on the corners, but if I can't.... then I can't.

The wedding is tomorrow, so I have no time to try and find a 12 inch plate.... I'll just have to go with what I have.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 5

I always use the same size plate. Cake shrinks a little. So, I still have roon for a border on mine.

I think you have just what you need. It will work fine

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 5

could you put the truffles on toothpicks and stick them into the side of the cake so they're secure?? they wouldn't be on the plate, just floating but it might still look cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%