Brush Embroidery?

Decorating By rkei Updated 7 May 2010 , 7:48pm by rkei

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 7

How easy is brush embroidery? I am twelve years old and a begginer at cake decorating and a newbie at Cake Central. I have done about ten cakes. Only a few of them were total flops. But, I wanted to do a bunch of brush embroidery flowers on a Mother's day cake. Are they as easy as they look in videos? Thanks everyone for your help! I love Cake Central.
~Rachel~

6 replies
PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 7

I had a look at the cake you made for your mums birthday, it turned out great well done!!! I was going to leave a message but you have them turned off. Good Job again. Sorry I can't help any about the brush embroidery but am interested in any comments people have.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Rachel, welcome to CC!!!

I haven't tried brush embroidery, either, so I can't help with that. All I can suggest is that you have a Plan B in mind. Then, try the brush embroidery on a plate or something to see if it's easy. If not, do the Plan B that you're comfortable with on the Mother's Day cake.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 7

I've only done brush embroidery a couple of times and it really isn't that hard. There are some really good tutorials on youtube that will help you. Good luck to you. I'm sure that your mother will love it. thumbs_up.gif

EDIT: I think that she has a great idea to practice the brush embroidery on a plate. That way you can see for yourself if this is something that you're comfortable doing on your cake.

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 7

I've done brush embroidery. The yellow cake in my pictures is done this way. I covered my cake in a crusting buttercream (don't use the store bought cans!), smoothed it (I use a Viva paper towel), then I piped on the border using the same buttercream and used a small brush to brush inward in tiny strokes. Here is a video that helped me:

Good luck, and welcome to Cakecentral! If you need any help or guidance, feel free to private message me!

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 7

I did brush embroidery for the first time just last night! I was easy and so much fun. Unfortunately, I didnt get a picture. I iced my cake in crusting buttercream and smoothed. Then I placed it in the freezer for a few minutes until the icing was hard. I used flower cutters to lightly imprint the icing then traced one outline at a time with buttcream. Using a small, flat brush, I "pulled" the inside half of the icing inward. I alternated my flowers using #2, #3, #4 tips for variety. I hope this helps! Good luck and welcome to CC!

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you very much everyone. This really helped me. I turned the comments on on my picture of the cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%