Need Help With A Strange Vehicle Themed Cake

Decorating By Sassy74 Updated 10 May 2010 , 4:04am by mom2twogrlz

Sassy74 Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 8

Hello ladies and gents! I have a request for a b'day cake for a 2 year old little boy, and I'm not sure how to practically tie everything together that the mom wants, lol

It's a small cake (30 ppl, max), buttercream, primary colors. But the b'day boy LOVES his toy garbage truck, and the mom also wants other vehicles represented...Jeeps, trucks, etc.

So...I've thought about doing a square cake, and maybe doing a fondant road around the cake for the bottom border and putting a few vehicles on that road. I've look on Global Sugar Art for vehicle molds, but didn't see any. There's not enough money in this cake to justify hand modeling a bunch of vehicles. But I also don't want to use plastic vehicles. Just a personal preference.

I could also maybe do them 2-D around the cake but I really don't want it to look like a hodge-podge that I just slapped a bunch of truck cut-outs onto. If that makes sense??? I just want it to be cohesive, and cute!

So, if y'all have any ideas about how all of this might work together, I'd love to hear them, and I'd be very grateful. I so appreciate the creativity that I find on these boards!!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 8

I would just use plastic or metal vehicles...let the mom provide them, and the birthday boy can keep them to play with after the party. Most kids love those extra few toys that come on the birthday cake, and it's not a competition cake...no one is going to be deducting points because there are toys stuck on the cake.

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 8

I say so too...If the cake doesn't warrant handmade vehicles or the customer simply doesn't want to pay for them then you have no choice.I too don't like using plastic kits/toys either but when a Mom comes to me as says "Can you put this one the cake"..I don't say no! Often it ends up being quite cute!!!

KHalstead Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 8

I really like to do everything edible as well!

I think you could really make it look adorable with 2-d fondant/gumpaste cut outs that are painted to give them more dimension. Also you could do his fav. truck on the top either flat or standing up using a lollipop stick.

Another option for the vehicles is to do decorated cookies?

cheatize Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 8

Check out candy molds for a vehicle one.

Sassy74 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much y'all!

I found several candy molds, but wanted to ask if any of y'all have experience using these with fondant/gumpaste? Could I dust them with CS or PS, or grease them lightly with shortening and use them with fondant? I want to be sure of how I'd use them before I order them.

I could mold several vehicles, let them dry, and hand paint the details onto them...I think that would be cute.

cakesrock Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:41am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

Thanks so much y'all!

I found several candy molds, but wanted to ask if any of y'all have experience using these with fondant/gumpaste? Could I dust them with CS or PS, or grease them lightly with shortening and use them with fondant? I want to be sure of how I'd use them before I order them.

I could mold several vehicles, let them dry, and hand paint the details onto them...I think that would be cute.

Or you could do them using different colored candy melts- that would be simple. I was thinking of doing my sons (sorry, my apostrophe doesnt work, I am not gramatically challenged) cake like that. But now he wants a cruise ship.... sigh...

mom2twogrlz Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #8 of 8

I have used fondant/gumpaste in candy molds. It works pretty well, just dust as heavy as you can with the cornstarch without filling in the details. I let mine sit for a few minutes then pulled them out using a needle. Some distortion, but it can usually be touched up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%