Many Questions :)

Decorating By Summer09 Updated 8 May 2010 , 4:11pm by prterrell

Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 6

baked 3 mini cakes today (im new to this) so have lots of questions

How do i make my cake s that it doesnt crumble alot?- ive heard of crumbcoating- what is that.?- ( i weigh the Eggs i will use and make the marge,caster suger and flour the same weight as the eggs)- should i increase flour to help with the crumbling

Also my fondany went all crackly over the ake, thougt cos i rolled it to thin but did another thicker and the same happened- any advice

How do i make B/C stiffer?

once made are cakes supposed to be kept in the fride or on he side- cant put clingfilm around it cos it has figures on top

Thanks Everyone

Summer09

5 replies
jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 6

Try added a little bit of milk at the end of mixing, this should help make the cake more moist.

Crumb coating is putting a thin coat of buttercream over the cake and smoothing it out to give a surface for your fondant to stick to.

Did you knead your fondant before putting it on the cake. You need to knead it to make it nice and pliable.

Add more icing sugar to make bc stiffer.

Cakes only need to be kept in the fridge if you have a filling like cream. I think in the US they do keep their cakes in the fridge due to the heat but hey thats not something we need to worry about in the UK eh lol. Also the cake will stay moist as the icing seals it.
Dont put clingfilm over either as this will soften the icing. Best thing to do is buy the cardboard cake boxes and keep the cake in that, keeps dirt/dust off the cake but wont ruin your icing

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 6

Crumb coating is just the layer of frosting you put on under the fondant.

NEVER use margarine! Yuck!

Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 8 May 2010 , 9:55am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

marge for the cake mix or for the buttercream- or both?

Thanks for your advise

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 6

I don't refrigerate my cakes unless they have a mousse filling or something similar.

jayne is right about kneading your fondant. Also, you can't leave it out long after it is rolled out. As soon as you roll out the fondant, cover it with plastic wrap unless you use it imediately. I roll out fondant on a surface dusted with cornstarch. In my experience it dries less than powdered sugar. If you are covering a large cake you can roll the fondant out on a mat with a light coat of shortening. Apply it to your cake by flipping the fondant and mat onto the cake and peal the mat off. Hope that made since.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

marge for the cake mix or for the buttercream- or both?

Thanks for your advise

Ever. period. I don't allow that stuff in my house. But absolutely not for the buttercream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%