Using A Clay Extruder

Decorating By SunshineSally Updated 7 May 2010 , 5:09pm by jones5cm

SunshineSally  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 15

I finally bought a clay extruder. I bought the light green one. It's so exciting to get new cake tools!!!

Does anyone have any tips or special advice for using it? TIA

14 replies
 metria  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 15

if you're using fondant, i like to microwave it so it's nice and warm. i've never gotten MMF even w/ lots of shortening to really come out smooth, but a gelatin/glucose version (like MFF or toba garrett's fondant) works great when warm w/o shortening. satin ice does well too when a little warm. just make sure it's well kneaded!

it starts to squeak when you're turning the handle sometimes. people who use it for clay suggest to put WD-40 on it to make it stop, but i wouldn't risk that for food-safety. i bet a little veggie oil will do the trick. i haven't tried that yet, but that's what we'd do for hamster-wheels when they got squeaky!

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 15

oh and store it all in some other container so you don't lose those little discs!

SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm making another one of my daisy bouquet cakes and it was so time consuming to roll all the stems by hand. I think this should make the process go a little quicker!

Thanks again!!!

badkitty  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 15

I've been using a mix of Satin Ice and Satin Ice gumpaste with a bit of extra crisco and kneading thoroughly til it's nice and soft and it has extruded beautifully. And yes a little oil did help with the squeak! icon_smile.gif

Have fun playing with your new toy!

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 15

the directions on the package, i found, were a bit lacking. i never knew the top came off too until i saw a youtube video of someone using it.

BillieH  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 15

Hi, Where does one buy a clay extruder? Micheal's? Hardware store? LOL I think I'd like a new toy icon_wink.gif

SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 15

I got mine at Hobby Lobby. icon_biggrin.gif

badkitty  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 15

Got mine at Michaels w/coupon so it wasn't very expensive. And it would certainly be nice if it had a little better instructions on cleaning it, especially for everyone who's never used one before. Youtube videos can be lifesavers!! icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 15

clay section in your fav. hobby store (e.g. michaels). bring a coupon!

Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder
LL

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 15

haha i just realized that photo doesn't have the tool inside the package. here.
LL

SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 15

That's the exact one that I got. I gotta get off of here and get to work with it!!! icon_lol.gif

BillieH  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillieH Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 15

Wow, thanks for all the helpful info! I now need to find a coupon, plan a shopping trip, and in the meantime check out you-tube. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

cakeaddiction  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 15

I got that one too and just love it.

jones5cm  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 15

I've had mine for several months and so far, it's saved me lots of time making strips and strings, etc!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%