Using A Clay Extruder

Decorating By SunshineSally Updated 7 May 2010 , 5:09pm by jones5cm

SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 15

I finally bought a clay extruder. I bought the light green one. It's so exciting to get new cake tools!!!

Does anyone have any tips or special advice for using it? TIA

14 replies
metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 15

if you're using fondant, i like to microwave it so it's nice and warm. i've never gotten MMF even w/ lots of shortening to really come out smooth, but a gelatin/glucose version (like MFF or toba garrett's fondant) works great when warm w/o shortening. satin ice does well too when a little warm. just make sure it's well kneaded!

it starts to squeak when you're turning the handle sometimes. people who use it for clay suggest to put WD-40 on it to make it stop, but i wouldn't risk that for food-safety. i bet a little veggie oil will do the trick. i haven't tried that yet, but that's what we'd do for hamster-wheels when they got squeaky!

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 15

oh and store it all in some other container so you don't lose those little discs!

SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm making another one of my daisy bouquet cakes and it was so time consuming to roll all the stems by hand. I think this should make the process go a little quicker!

Thanks again!!!

badkitty Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 15

I've been using a mix of Satin Ice and Satin Ice gumpaste with a bit of extra crisco and kneading thoroughly til it's nice and soft and it has extruded beautifully. And yes a little oil did help with the squeak! icon_smile.gif

Have fun playing with your new toy!

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 15

the directions on the package, i found, were a bit lacking. i never knew the top came off too until i saw a youtube video of someone using it.

BillieH Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 15

Hi, Where does one buy a clay extruder? Micheal's? Hardware store? LOL I think I'd like a new toy icon_wink.gif

SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 15

I got mine at Hobby Lobby. icon_biggrin.gif

badkitty Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #9 of 15

Got mine at Michaels w/coupon so it wasn't very expensive. And it would certainly be nice if it had a little better instructions on cleaning it, especially for everyone who's never used one before. Youtube videos can be lifesavers!! icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 15

clay section in your fav. hobby store (e.g. michaels). bring a coupon!

Makin's Professional Ultimate Clay Extruder

metria Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 15

haha i just realized that photo doesn't have the tool inside the package. here.

SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 15

That's the exact one that I got. I gotta get off of here and get to work with it!!! icon_lol.gif

BillieH Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 15

Wow, thanks for all the helpful info! I now need to find a coupon, plan a shopping trip, and in the meantime check out you-tube. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

cakeaddiction Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 15

I got that one too and just love it.

jones5cm Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 15

I've had mine for several months and so far, it's saved me lots of time making strips and strings, etc!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%