Cake Flour Vs Apf

Decorating By SweetSyren Updated 7 May 2010 , 7:25pm by BrightDelights

SweetSyren Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 5

When making WASC cake or something similar when you are using a box mix as your base, would you recommend using APF or cake flour? How would the cake turn out diffrently if you used cake flour?

4 replies
SunshineSally Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 5

I'm curious about this also. I've only used all purpose flour when baking my cakes. I think I remember reading somewhere that if you use cake flour, it takes less than all purpose flour.

karenm0712 Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 5

Good question! I don't know the answer, but hopefully someone will chime in soon that does. icon_smile.gif

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 5

Glad to see this topic. Last night I made a scratch cake that normally calls for cake flour. I didnt have any and it was late so I tried All Purpose Flour. It baked up fine, but when I tasted it, you could taste the difference. The cake flour seems to be sweeter and its softer. I could actually taste the flour taste from the all purpose flour. So my reccomendation is...if you bake scratch cakes, use cake flour. Now in my pound cakes I use all purpose flour but thats it!

BrightDelights Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 5

I've made the Rebecca Sutterby WASC recipe three times now. The first two times I used AP flour and both times the cake sunk horribly. The third time I used cake flour and a tablespoon of baking powder and it came out perfectly. So I don't know the technical difference, but I think since the cake flour is finer it didn't weight the cake down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%