Cake Serving Question - One Layer Vs. Two Layers

Decorating By Mom2ANC Updated 7 May 2010 , 4:25pm by Mom2ANC

Mom2ANC Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 5

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I have looked at both the Wilton and the Earlene cake serving charts and both have the number for double layer cakes.
I am making a 12 inch round, but it will just be one round, not torted, and only two inches high. Would the serving number be the same, just smaller servings?

4 replies
awestervelt Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

The sizing charts are based on a 4 inch high cake. I don't think you would get the same amount of servings out of it.

Mom2ANC Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!
I found a few charts on different sites for servings of single layer cakes, but I do not know how they are cutting them.

Does anyone have a cutting guide to get 2X2 inch servings out of an 8 inch and 12 inch cake?

TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 5

If I am only doing a single layer I just divide the numbers of the 4in cake and round them out.

Have you seen IndyDebi's cutting method?

Mom2ANC Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5

Is that where the cutter cuts in two inches and then slices it into pieces? I think that is what I am going to do. I figured out by tracing on my cake circle that my 12 inch round would have 28 servings that way. My 8 inch round will have 12 that way.
That should work out fine. I just have to make sure I am the one that cuts the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%