Frozen Buttercream Transfer Questions

Decorating By SnugglePie Updated 7 May 2010 , 2:25pm by TexasSugar

SnugglePie Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 5

I tried the frozen buttercream transfer for the first time the other day just to give it a try. I kept it in the freezer for about 3 hours or so, when I tried to put it on the cake everything just smudged and it did not turn out like I was expecting. Can anyone give me any tips? I know I did not do something right but I just have not figured it out yet! Thanks in advance!

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 5

Have pictures?

cas17 Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:04pm
post #3 of 5

sounds like it just needed to be in the freezer longer. if your bc is all shortening it will need to be in there longer than a bc that uses butter. i've actually left mine in overnight to place the next day. also when you are placing it there's not a lot of time before it will start to unfreeze so i take my wax paper and flip it over and place it pretty quick and gently peel and allow it to settle. i can then touch it up a bit once it thaws out. hope that helps for next time icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 5

Ditto. You have to work quickly. I use Indydebi's bc, and I've had pretty good luck with that even though it's an all shortening recipe.
Did you freeze it a few minutes after each color/design layer was added? That helps, too.
Also, I use a metal cookie sheet. That holds the cold better while I'm layering colors.

TexasSugar Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 5

I use all crisco buttercream and freeze mine for less than an hour and haven't had smearing problems, so I don't that is it.

I'm thinking it was either too soft icing, lines got moved around when piping around them, or got mushed around (did you do the layer of icing on the back)?

Quote by @%username% on %date%