Diabetic Italian Meringue Bc

Baking By Tomoore Updated 7 May 2010 , 1:35pm by all4cake

Tomoore Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 4

Hi All,

I love Italian Meringue Buttercream and am making a mothers day cake for a friend's granny. Problem is, the friend has asked me to used splenda in the project. She knows that the fondant won't be low-sugar, but I'd like to honor the request in the icing.

Last year, I made a diabetic icing recipe that was disgusting.

I am assuming that I can't just sub in the splenda for the sugar in the IMBC recipe because of the syrup...or can I?

Any ideas/suggestions. If its not IMBC, I'd like it to be a nice, butter-based icing comparable to it.
(I vaguely remember seeing something somewhere about isomalt being used...if you know about this please enlighten me.)

Thanks.
Toni

3 replies
all4cake Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know how well it'll work with the IMBC technique, but I used Splenda to make SMBC and it turned out great

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1284066

and although, those who it was for enjoyed the taste of it.

Tomoore Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 4

Hmmm. Thanks so much for your reply. I am trying to remember if I have made SMBC before. Should I just grab any recipe and sub the sugar for splenda equally? If not, would you mind sharing your recipe?

I appreciate your help!

Anyone else? Any ideas on how splenda would work in IMBC?

all4cake Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 4

That's exactly what I did...subbed the splenda for the sugar and continued. I did allow it to dissolve into the whites before proceeding to the heating stage (I do that with sugar too)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%