Powder Sugar Taste

Baking By messy1 Updated 12 May 2010 , 5:54pm by Crabbabs

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 10

I just made Antonio74 icing last night and added the same flavorings as usual but the icing had a "powder sugar taste". Does that make sense to anyone. The last time I made the icing it had the most wonderful vanilla/almond flavoring but this time it had that strong sugar taste. I used C & H brand powder sugar so it was not a cheap brand. This happens every so often and wondered if anyone else can explain (if they even understand the question). Thanks.

9 replies
awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 10

I understand the taste you are talking about!! I seem to get the "powdered sugar taste" more when I use the generic store brands of powdered sugar vs Domino sugar. I hope someone comes along with suggestions!!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #3 of 10

try adding more extract

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 10

I've posted that same question, so I know exactly what you're talking about...it's almost a raw powdered sugar flavor. I second the idea of adding a bit more extract; maybe try different extracts till you get something you like (I've found citrus and vanilla can be a nice combo). Also, are you tasting the icing plain? I've also found that even though the icing tastes "raw" by itself, it tastes good once it's on a cookie and the flavors of icing and cookie mix in your mouth. I wonder, too, if letting the icing sit for a while so all the flavors mix might be a good idea...

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

I've also found that even though the icing tastes "raw" by itself, it tastes good once it's on a cookie and the flavors of icing and cookie mix in your mouth

I've had that happen too. It's powdery tasting alone, but fine on the cake. My wilton teacher told us to dissolve your flavorings with some salt to enhance the flavor before adding to icing. That has worked really well for me.

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

My wilton teacher told us to dissolve your flavorings with some salt

How much salt do you use?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 10

can somebody post a link to the recipe?

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

My wilton teacher told us to dissolve your flavorings with some salt

How much salt do you use?

Maybe 1/4 teaspoon (little less) or so to flavor whole batch of icing. I don't really measure it, just know what it looks like when I mix it in the flavoring.

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 10

I don't know how to delete this. Sorry!

Crabbabs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crabbabs Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 10

oops, I'm sorry! I posted this in the wrong place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%