Cake To Sweet

Decorating By toleshed Updated 7 May 2010 , 10:15pm by toleshed

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:45am
post #1 of 14

Just made my first cake for a customer. White double layer with peanut butter filling. Customer was a friend so requested feedback since it was my first cake. She said it was too sweet. Typical Wilton buttercream. How do I know if customer just wants icing out of a can or buttercream. This was ordered by the husband as a surprise and he doesn't know the difference between the two.

13 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 14

I use Indydebi's buttercream receipe. I like it much better than the Wilton buttercream. I wouldn't use canned icing. It's not very "decorator" friendly. The meringue buttercreams aren't as sweet as the crusting buttercreams. Maybe that type of icing is what the customer is use to. When I make SMBC, I use the Well Dressed Cake SMBC receipe from this site. Good luck to you on your cakes. Your cookies are awesome.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 14

I agree with Robin. I have used both and the Indydebi's frosting went over better than the Wilton one. In fact in a couple of professional decorating books I've just read they call the Wilton buttercream icing a practice icing. So I started using Indydebi's icing instead. It adds flavor and tones down the sweetness. I think it is the closest to what I have tasted from other bakeries in this area so that is why I think it goes over well.

Also you can try SMBC with an added flavor (your choice of which one). IMO, SMBC by itself tastes too much like butter. But once you add flavor, which it takes very well, it is delicious and not too sweet. I made a white chocolate SMBC last week and this week I am making it again, plus I'm going to make a rasberry SMBC for my book club cupcakes. It is definitely a little bit more difficult to make than the mix and serve buttercream, but worth it.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #4 of 14

You might want to try Buttercream Dream from here on CC. It's a variation on the Wilton recipe and is less sweet, but still crusts and pipes beautifully. When I make it, I use whipping cream instead of the milk -- I think it makes it creamier and tastier. HTH!

mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

You might want to try Buttercream Dream from here on CC. It's a variation on the Wilton recipe and is less sweet, but still crusts and pipes beautifully. When I make it, I use whipping cream instead of the milk -- I think it makes it creamier and tastier. HTH!

Once again I'm going to agree with JGMB on Buttercream Dream. I can only use this icing a few months out of the year because of our heat and humidity. This is an awesome tasting buttercream and I also replace the milk with heavy cream thumbs_up.gif . The reason I usually make Indydebi's receipe is that it holds up to the Arkansas heat and humidity so well.

I also agree with Linda on adding flavor to your SMBC. If you don't add enough flavor it tastes like butter. I usually add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of melted white chocolate to mine.

LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 14

[quote="mamawrobin"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I also agree with Linda on adding flavor to your SMBC. If you don't add enough flavor it tastes like butter. I usually add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of melted white chocolate to mine.

With white chocolate it is delicious. And more is good. I added 3 ozs and we tasted tested it. My DD could still detect butter. So I added 2 more ozs and then the white chocolate taste came through.

Now I'm going to go look for the other buttercream recipe. I think I'll use that on my cake for Wilton course 2. Thank you for the recommendation.

LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 14

I just tried to do a search for Dream Buttercream and can't find one with that exact name. Can someone provide a link?
Thanks!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 14

When i make the american b/c, i use buttercream dream or the wilton one with the butter and crisco or hi-ratio shortening and whipping cream. Very similiar. Then i also make imbc or smbc. which is very good. I also like to make the mock buttercream as some call it. You cook the milk and flour til thick, then add the butter , flavoring ,etc. This recipe is in Toba Garrett's book. So Good!! There is a recipe on this site for making that also. Little variations with different people. It is not too sweet. Soft and Fluffy

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 14

I also use IndyDebi's recipe and haven't gone back (with regards to vanilla).

However, some people just think that icing, in general, is too sweet. My coworker complains and complains about my icing (takes effort not to throttle her, especially since the cake is usually for someone else!). It hurts her teeth, because she has sensitive teeth. *shrug* You can't please everyone.

But I tell you...she complains again, I'm going to take her piece away and never serve her another ever again.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 14

I stopped using American Buttercream for about 6 months and switched it SMBC. But this past week I had to do a 3D Jeep and needed to keep it out of the refrigerator, so I used IndyDebi's butter cream for the first time. I loved it! I added a cap ful of almond extract along with the vanilla. The dream whip really helps! I also added a dash of salt to cut the sweetness. It was perfect!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:23pm
post #12 of 14

How is the flavor of the Indybuttercream recipe? Can you taste the crisco?

mamawrobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:43pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

How is the flavor of the Indybuttercream recipe? Can you taste the crisco?

No. I think the Dream Whip maybe the reason why. I also beat my crisco for about 10 minutes before adding any of the other ingredients. I just like the texture better when I do it this way.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:15pm
post #14 of 14

I think this customer was looking for a birthday cake with out of can frosting on it. icon_sad.gif
So probably wouldn't have pleased them anyway. Thanks for all of your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%