Frosting Fell Off The Cake?

Decorating By Creative_Cookies_Cakes Updated 9 May 2010 , 1:28am by Mama_Mias_Cakes

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 14

I teach Wilton cake decorating class and I have had a couple students bring in cakes and the frosting fell off on the way to class. Any ideas why?

13 replies
Kitagrl Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #2 of 14

Cake too soft/moist and icing too stiff, maybe?

I taught Wilton classes for a couple months (it ended up being too much for me to keep up with) and seems like the way Wilton teaches it, has the students making the icing a bit too stiff.

slsharratt Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 14

my icing fell off in the beginning when it was too stiff.

tmac670 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #4 of 14

I third that motion- the icing was too stiff.

Kitagrl Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 14

I never understood why Wilton likes such stiff icing. I would have to tell my students to use "medium" instead of "stiff" for decorations because they couldn't even squeeze their bags hard enough to pipe a rose...and I told them to use "thin" for icing their cakes, instead of "medium". After that, they had a much easier time.

tmac670 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:24am
post #6 of 14

When I teach my class I always follow the recipe to the letter- and then pass around a cup of that icing- and then add liquid to show them what it is SUPPOSED to feel like, so they won't be afraid to add more liquid. It's about getting the right consistency- not about following the recipe to the letter. (Hope the Wilton God's are not listening- I really like my job)

Tiffthebaker Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:10am
post #7 of 14

Couldn't the icing also fall off if it is too thin? I tried out a new B/C recipe tonight and when I put it on my cake, it cake sliding down the side of the cake! So frustrating! But I know my icing was definately too thin.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:10am
post #8 of 14

Did they use the icer tip? Our instructor had showed our class the icer tip in the first class. I found that many people don't actually touch the cake and put the tip next to the cake when applying the icing. The icing never did adhere to the cake and slipped when being transported.

LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you saying the icing is too stiff! I am taking these classes and I have a hard time with the icing. I just made my upteenth batch yesterday and I think this one is the best.

There is about 5 of us who took course 1 together and now we are taking course 2 together too. We were talking about this last night. The other gals mixed there shortening and liquid together first and then creamed them til smooth and added the sugar and meringue last. I creamed the shortening, added the sugar and meringue, and then the water as the sugar/criso got too hard to mix. My frosting was dry, stiff and flaked all over. There's was creamy and smooth. So I made another batch yesterday. It is a vast improvement, but I feel it is still just a bit too stiff. When this batch is used up I plan on doing it the same way only adding the sugar until I feel it is creamy. I feel with this batch I should have not added the last cup of sugar. Maybe that is what is consider medium consistency?

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you posted about the icing. It has helped me quite a bit.

Chasey Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:26pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8smom

Did they use the icer tip? Our instructor had showed our class the icer tip in the first class. I found that many people don't actually touch the cake and put the tip next to the cake when applying the icing. The icing never did adhere to the cake and slipped when being transported.

I think this is a very good point!

ginger6361 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:13am
post #11 of 14

I HATE THE ICING TIP!! Always falls when using one. Prefer to spread with spatula.

Baker_Rose Posted 8 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 14

It could also be that they aren't pushing the icing to the cake firm enough. When I ice a cake I'm really pushing it into place and I have never had a problem with icing coming off, thin, medium or stiff. It just takes practice.

icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger6361

I HATE THE ICING TIP!! Always falls when using one. Prefer to spread with spatula.

I do like the tip. It's just easier for me to use my spatula instead of loading another bag. You have to actually push the jagged edge against the cake with some pressure, not a whole lot to break up the cake. It really will adhere to your cake much better.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:28am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Thank you saying the icing is too stiff! I am taking these classes and I have a hard time with the icing. I just made my upteenth batch yesterday and I think this one is the best.

There is about 5 of us who took course 1 together and now we are taking course 2 together too. We were talking about this last night. The other gals mixed there shortening and liquid together first and then creamed them til smooth and added the sugar and meringue last. I creamed the shortening, added the sugar and meringue, and then the water as the sugar/criso got too hard to mix. My frosting was dry, stiff and flaked all over. There's was creamy and smooth. So I made another batch yesterday. It is a vast improvement, but I feel it is still just a bit too stiff. When this batch is used up I plan on doing it the same way only adding the sugar until I feel it is creamy. I feel with this batch I should have not added the last cup of sugar. Maybe that is what is consider medium consistency?

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you posted about the icing. It has helped me quite a bit.

I find that my icing incorporates much better when I add liquid a little at a time rather than all at once. I cream my butter and shortening (sorry, the class recipe is just icky). I then add a little sugar, some liquid, mix, scrape down bowl, and repeat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%