I'm A Newbie!

Decorating By kacic88 Updated 7 May 2010 , 10:28pm by ChoueiriCakeCo

kacic88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kacic88 Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 14

Hey guys! I'm a newbie cake decorator. My cousin has just asked me to make a cake for her 16th birthday. She is wanting me to replicate a cake from the show Cake Boss. I hope someone has maybe seen the episode where Buddy makes a life sized car (no, she is not wanting that one icon_biggrin.gif thank the Lord), but while he is making the car cake, Mauro is making a cake at the bakery for a fashion designer and this is the one she wants. This cake has lace, keys, and jewels...all which I do not know how to make on it. Are there molds for such things? I found a mold for the pearls that go on the cake, but that is it. The party is the first week in June, so, I am stressing already. If anyone can, please help icon_smile.gif

13 replies
LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 14

Kacic88, you can get lace molds form www.globalsugarart.com, or sometimes I just buy a strip of lace from the fabric store, set it on my fondant and roll my rolling pin over it to imprint the fondant. Not sure if there is a mold out there for keys, but you can try googling "key molds"

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:58am
post #3 of 14

icon_biggrin.gif Welcome to CC Family, I have been taught by some people here. All I do is ask question. You have Join the Addictive Family. Which is fun.. Good luck on the Cake and many more Cakes thumbs_up.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #4 of 14

We could probably help you out better if you had a photo of the cake you could post. Or maybe a drawing showing a general description. You can buy candy jewels on the internet...someone will have to help out with the site...I forget which one it was. You can purchase lace molds also, but they get a little pricey. Just search silicone molds and you can probably find most of what you are looking for. Is it a tiered cake? Have you ever done this type of cake before...you can find all the answers here. I just started cake decorating last summer/fall. I have learned loads on here, and it is very addictive. Good Luck!

kacic88 Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 14

Wow! You guys are so quick! Thanks for the help you have given me already. I was able to download the episode from itunes. They said they made the keys and lace from fondant. I have made a few cakes before, but nothing like this. I ordered Cefmaster editable silver spray to make the cake silver. I will definitely do a trial run before the final. I am a little nervous on doing this.

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #6 of 14

I remember that cake! It was one of my favorites icon_smile.gif I can't seem to find any photos of the cake right now (Episode 17: Cars, Collapse & Couture), but If I remember correctly there was a purple cake tier with a diamond quilted pattern? You could use Wilton's quilting tool or a diamond impression mat for this. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 7 May 2010 , 11:57am
post #7 of 14

I also found this key mold:

http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/mn297filigreekey212x1x14.aspx

This site has hundreds of molds and you could probably find molds for jewels and lace as well icon_smile.gif

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 14

Or you can make your own molds :0)
go to www.makeyourownmolds.com
I've used them for yrs and make almost all my own molds... I even took the crystals off our chandelier & molded them before jewel molds came out :0) It's easy & fun :0)
Tell Dominic we said hi!

kacic88 Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 14

Yes, the cake is from that episode of cake boss, but it's silver with broken hearts and jewels. I can't find a picture online or I would definitely post it. I ordered the key link you sent me and was also able to order the jewel molds from there. Would you make these from fondant or gumpaste? I've never really worked with gumpaste before, but I bought 2 different types, a mix from wilton and the pre-made kind. I'm not really sure how it will turn out. Has anyone ever used the mix before or do you make your own? Also, how long does it take for each to actually mold? Also, I wanted to know if anyone has tried the satin ice fondant? I usually make my own marshmellow fondant, but it always seems to have little lumps in it. I've read that the Wilton fondant doesn't taste good, so, I wouldn't try that. Thanks for all of your help!

Kaci icon_smile.gif

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 14

Satin Ice Fondant is ok.. I prefer Chocopan but both are good to work with.

The molding process isn't too long but drying time depends on the material you use to mold ie... gumpaste dries faster than fonadant, chocolate dries/hardens quicker than gumpaste, & sugar even quicker.. :0)
When using gumpaste or fondant be sure to dust your molds lightly so your material comes out... use either corn starch/GP or powdered sugar/Fond..

On the gumpaste I've made my own, used the mix, & bought... I use Nicholas Lodges and love it.. Try differnt methods to see which you like best.

Don't forget to post pics!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 14

Sugarcraft has car key molds. Probably jewel molds too.

ddaigle Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:25pm
post #12 of 14

S u g a r c r a f t dot com

ddaigle Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 14

Geese...WTH!!! Why can't we frickin share information. Google car key molds....it will be there.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacic88

Has anyone ever used the mix before or do you make your own? Also, how long does it take for each to actually mold? Also, I wanted to know if anyone has tried the fondant? I usually make my own marshmellow fondant, but it always seems to have little lumps in it. I've read that the Wilton fondant doesn't taste good, so, I wouldn't try that. Thanks for all of your help!

I've used both kinds wilton gumpaste and I prefer the gumpaste mix. The premade gumpaste was too dry and hard to work with for me, but I use the gumpaste mix and every time its soft and very easy to shape. I've also heard that Wilton recently improved the taste of their fondant (there are several threads about it on CC), so maybe you'll have better results if you bought a new batch (you could also make your own fondant).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%