Questions About Fondant And Gumpaste.

Decorating By rkei Updated 8 May 2010 , 3:36pm by rkei

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 6

I am a begginer @ cake decorating- making cakes for family birthdays, and occasions. I have never used fondant because: I bought some pre-made fondant. I opened it up, and it smelled aweful. Also, does it really taste good? What is marshmallow fondant. (MMF) I know it can get really smooth and nice, if I ever do use it, do I need to buy all the expensive tools? I am also intersted in Gumpaste. I have heard it gets really hard and you can't eat it, is that true? And, does it taste good? I know I asked a lot of questions, sorry! I would appreciate any advice. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 6

Hi rkei, welcome. I am not sure what kind of fondant you purchased, I know wilton fondant used to be pretty nasty but I have heard that it is not bad now, just a very sweet taste. I make mmf, if you click on the recipe tab at the top of the page, there is a recipe for mmf. It taste ok, very sweet. HTH

Lisa

rkei Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you, Lisa. I just grabbed the box of fondant on the shelf at Michaels Craft Store. It didn't smell very good, and at the moment it is still sitting at the back of the fridge. I would really like to try some MMF. Thank you so much!

Rachel

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 6

If you're looking for fondant with taste, then check out Fondarific...They have vanilla, buttercream, and chocolate in 5 & 10 lb tubs and then in 2 lb tubs they have various fruit flavors, a coffee-flavor, and at Christmas time, a peppermint flavor.

Paul

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 8 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 6

Satin Ice fondant is pretty good too. I haven't tried Fondarific yet, but the coffee-flavor sounds delish.

rkei Posted 8 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you, Paul! I am anxious to try it out!
~Rachel~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%