Candy Clay, Fondant, And Gum Paste

Decorating By cowgirllvn Updated 7 May 2010 , 2:09pm by drakegore

cowgirllvn Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know how long each of these will keep? A few weeks, a month or ???
I made some Candy Clay (1 lb candy waffers and 1/3 cup corn syrup) about a month ago and was gonna use it today just to practice on some flowers and it just seemed to be really oily feeling and kept melting on me (after I kneaded it). Didn't know if maybe it was too old or if it was the humidity (didn't seem hot to me, but my son said he was)
Also I am wanting to make some Fondant and Gum Paste for a wedding cake I have coming up in June and don't want to make it too soon.
TIA

3 replies
drakegore Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 4

candy clay will keep for a month in the fridge, wrapped tightly.
candy clay CAN get very oily no matter when you use it. you want to make sure you don't over knead because that makes it worse.
i often wipe off the fat that is on the surface before i knead.

cowgirllvn Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 4

thanks Diane.....that is about how long it has been since I made it....but didn't refrig. it.....as didn't think I had to since there were no dairy products in it icon_redface.gif guess that batch goes in the trash now..... icon_cry.gif

drakegore Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

i actually think you do NOT have to refrigerate, but it does last longer in the fridge.

if you can get your hands on toba garrett's cake or cookies books from your library, i know she talks about how long it lasts in and out of fridge, but i cannot remember off the top of my head.

what i do with white chocolate and candy clay after i have aged it 24 hours in the fridge is wipe off any congealed grease i find on the outside.
working with semi-sweet clay is such a better experience than candy clay but then you only get brown color icon_sad.gif

try not to overwork the stuff because it just gets limp. i often do my work with it in stages so i don't overhandle to long at any one time. i am also not above popping back in fridge mid-stream if i am working on something thin like flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%