Need Help Asap~Coloring Candy Melts

Sugar Work By cakeaddictunite Updated 8 May 2010 , 2:31am by Bull

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #1 of 8

icon_cry.gifIs there any way to color candy melts after you melt them and mold it? I need to cover a piece of cardboard in black but I has to be sturdy(top part of graduation hat) The cake is due in the morning.I made it out of fondant the first try but that broke, I tried to color the melts blk while melting and it keeps siezing the chocolate~this has happened before so is there a way to color it after the candy melts sets???This is what I have to work with......candy melts, wiltons coloring,blk glitter, "I am trying not to have to run to the store as I still have 2 more cakes to bake and 3 to decorate tonight please help icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 8

You cannot color candy melts (or real chocolate) with regular gel paste colorings, you must use oil-based colors made specifically for chocolate. The only way to paint chocolate is with more colored chocolate.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #3 of 8

You can also use powdered food coloring

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 8

If you're making candy clay out of your melts, you can color the clay with gel colors - we do it all the time.

Paige_Pittman86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paige_Pittman86 Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 8

last time i tried to use candy melts i tried to color it with regular food coloring and i realized real fast that wasnt gonna work lol so i got a tip from a little bird telling you gotta use candy coloring and be careful its very runny. But i have a question now. am i suppose to add flavoring to the candy melts or does it already taste like chocolate because i was told that it didnt have a good taste..

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 8

The whites and colored ones taste vanilla and the chocolate/brown ones when made into candy clay tastes like a tootsie roll - so, yeah, it does taste good!

craftybrandi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybrandi Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 8

This response is a bit late for cakeaddictunite, but it might help someone else.
I just used candy melts to make candy clay to cover my 70s/groovy cake in lieu of fondant. I needed it to be black, I did not have enough time to allow for shipping of black candy melts or black powder, so I was limited to what Michaels and JoAnns carried.
I bought bags of light chocolate melts (for the taste over the dark chocolate) and a few packages of the candy colors (they come in a pack of 4 colors of which black is one). I made the candy clay and the next day added the black and even mixed in the other colors to just get the color darker, but I was concerned with adding so much coloring that the consistency was on the verge of changing. I got the color almost black. Since I was desperate for black not almost black, I broke out the airbrush and crossed my fingers that the color would not run off as I sprayed.
I lightly sprayed the cake just to get a true black, which was easy since I had a good dark chocolate base to work on. When I was done airbrushing I saw what looked like an extremely fine layer of condensation since the chocolate had sat out over night, I knew it wasnt, it was the black airbrush color. I decided to let the cake sit for a few hours and hoped the black color would absorb into the candy clay. It did well enough. The clay was by no means dry, but the condensation look was gone. As I added the fondant decorations to the candy clay (using melted candy melts) my fingers would touch the candy clay and my finger tips were getting black on them but the cake was not affected, the color stayed.
In the end the decorations stayed where placed, the black airbrush was a help, not a hinder although everyone who had a bite of the candy clay had black mouths.

PS for the graduation cap, I would have stuck with the fondant and have added tylose for strength and faster drying.

Bull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bull Posted 8 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 8

I color the candy melts all the time. I divide the batch so I can make several different colors for cut outs. If it doesn't act like it going to smooth out, just wrap in waxed paper and let it sit for several hours or overnight. Keep kneeding when you're ready to use, and it will be fine.
Opal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%