Cake Board Is Larger Than My Cakes

Decorating By korean Updated 7 May 2010 , 1:46pm by MissRobin

korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 16

Ok- why are cake boards always too big for the cake! I know that the cake shrinks, so why don't the manufactorers make the cake circle smaller? I hate having to cut the boards everything I cook a cake, especially the square cakes. Are there any cake cirles that are made to be a bit smaller? Meaning can you get a 8 inch cirlce that actually is the size for a 8 inch cake?

15 replies
cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 16

are you using wilton cake boards with wilton pans????

cause they will never match up.... i have the problem all the time using wilton pans and boards

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbymark

are you using wilton cake boards with wilton pans????

cause they will never match up.... i have the problem all the time using wilton pans and boards

me too!

korean Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 16

Yes- the round pans are wilton but the square pans are magic line and I don't know what brand boards i have

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 16

how much space are you talking about?

If I had anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4" sticking out, that was never really a problem as I used that as a guide for my bench scraper when smoothing the icing. ANything more than that and I did trim it down .... cake on board, scissors in hand, snip snip snip!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 16

I think the reason the circle is a teeny bit bigger than the cake is so you have a sort of "guide" for when you frost the cake. To me it always helps when I'm icing if I know I can just hold my scraper along the cardboard circle and turn the turntable.

Of course I've only ever used Wilton circles. JoAnn's and Michael's are the only "cake" stores around me. So maybe it's just something I'm used to.

may I ask why you want the circle to be the exact size of the cake?

EDIT: Debi, you beat me! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 16

Actually that little 1/4 of an inch (or less) is for your icing/fondant.

EDIT: Rose.....Debi ya beat me to it icon_lol.gif

korean Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 16

i really want it nice and even for the fondant cakes and really sometimes it seems like a lot of buttercream to get it even. I just can't believe the manufactorers wouldn't try and make them a bit smaller. How do the seperator plates work- are they a bit smaller?

korean Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 16

so are you tucking the fondant under the cake? I usually try and cut square to the bottom.

mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by korean

so are you tucking the fondant under the cake? I usually try and cut square to the bottom.

No icon_confused.gif I don't tuck the fondant under the cake I cut it even to the board thumbs_up.gif .

korean Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #11 of 16

i guess i don't understand- if I did my crumb coat and then put the fondant on and cut even to the board I still have enough left of the board that it would show a bit.

mamawrobin Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:48pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by korean

i guess i don't understand- if I did my crumb coat and then put the fondant on and cut even to the board I still have enough left of the board that it would show a bit.

I usually don't have any board showing by the time I've added my border. If you still have some showing after you've added the border or if you're not doing a border, just take an exacto knife or a pair of scissors and trim the excess thumbs_up.gif

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:58pm
post #13 of 16

I also have to trim my boards all the time. Especially if you just want a fondant finish with no border around the bottom. I certainly wouldn't wait until I was all done putting the fondant on to try and cut the board with an exacto knife...I would be afraid I would damage the cake! I have just learned I am going to have to cut the board down if I don't want it to show.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 6 May 2010 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 16

I'm with Robin. I jsut put a border around the bottom and that usually hides it if there's less than 1/8" of an inch sticking out. SOmetimes I do have more after the cake cools. I find that it also depends on my recpie. My carrot cake stays pretty much the same size.

korean Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks for all of the replys! I love this site and all of the knowledgable and friendly people!!!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #16 of 16

You could always cut your own boards, with foamcore, that's what I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%