Best Cake

Decorating By alyssa0628 Updated 1 Sep 2005 , 6:32am by MissBaritone

alyssa0628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyssa0628 Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 12

Okay everyone I need your help. What is the best cake recipe you know of for a stacked(2 layers) baby shower cake. It does need to be yellow(mom to be's request). Please I am desperate.

11 replies
MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa0628

Okay everyone I need your help. What is the best cake recipe you know of for a stacked(2 layers) baby shower cake. It does need to be yellow(mom to be's request). Please I am desperate.

Well, let me ask before I go any further.. icon_lol.gif

I make all my cakes from scratch, so does you friend have a preference? Scratch or doctored cake mix?

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 12

I have had very good success with the Durable Cake recipe that is posted in the recipes section here. Just use vanilla pudding with your yellow cake mix, add the sour cream, egg whites, oil, water, etc. It turns out very dense, moist & everyone will be suprised (if they ask!) that it originally started out as a cake mix! Try filling it with Smucker's Raspberry preserves that have been whipped with buttercream ...

Just a suggestion icon_smile.gif

alyssa0628 Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

Quote:

I make all my cakes from scratch, so does you friend have a preference? Scratch or doctored cake mix?

no she does not-its for a work baby shower and they typically think anything I do is great!!! They're very sweet and I guess I've kept them fooled for a while! icon_biggrin.gif

alyssa0628 Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 12

Sounds great 4bugzinarug! I actually saw that and thought it sounded really promising. I appreciate the response.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaLovesCakes

Quote:

no she does not-its for a work baby shower and they typically think anything I do is great!!! They're very sweet and I guess I've kept them fooled for a while! icon_biggrin.gif

Okay, this is mine. I did a baby shower cake using this recipe and people loved it. Its firm and good for either stacking or doing a column set up. (check my photos)

This recipe is for a 8 x 4 cake, but you can double it.

3 cups of self rising flour (any brand)
2 sticks of butter or margarine
2 cups of granulated sugar
4 eggs (separated)
vanilla or other extract to taste
1 cup of evaporated milk (any brand)

1. Cream butter and sugar at high speed until it turns pale yellow
2. Add egg yolks one at a time until well blended. Add flavors
3. Lower the speed of blender and start adding the flour and milk, alternating, starting with flour and ending with flour
4. In another bowl, whip the egg whites to meringue and fold carefully onto cake mixture.
5. Pour into 2, 8 x 2 round pans and bake for 30 - 35 minutes. (Check the time specified by Wilton pans to see exact time)

Let it sit on pan for about 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling racks. Let cool completely. Its best if you bake it the day before and let it sit overnight wrapped in plastic wrap on in an airtight container.

When ready to decorate, soak the cake with this syrup:

1 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
liquor if you want (brandy, amaretto) 1/4 of cup

BOil water. Add sugar. Let it boil for a few minutes, until a bit syrupy but not thick.

Remove from heat. Let it get lukewarm and then add the vanilla and liquor.

Brush into each torted year as you fill it and stack on top of each other. Place the torted tier first, wet with the syrup, fill and then do the same thing.

DON'T soak the cake with syrup and then try to pick it up or will break up.

If you have any problems let me know.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 12

oh my goodness, that recipe sounds absolutely YUMMY! I am trying that this week! Does the cake itself turn out fairly firm, with a consistency close to pound cake?

MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bugzinarug

oh my goodness, that recipe sounds absolutely YUMMY! I am trying that this week! Does the cake itself turn out fairly firm, with a consistency close to pound cake?

Yes, it is similar to pound but its closer to the 1, 2, 3, 4 cake. It is quite firm and I have done all kinds of stuff with this basic recipe and it takes very well. Once you soak it, it lasts at room temp for 4 - 5 days... just keep it airtight.

You can change the flavor of the cake by adjusting the soaking syrup. Instead of vanilla, you can add pineapple, coconut, orange, lemon extracts... You can try pretty much any flavor... Once you soak it with the syrup and the flavor of choice, you can change the flavor of the entire cake.... Without having to actually change the original recipe...
thumbs_up.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 12

That cake sounds lovely but a few questions
How much is 2 sticks of butter? we normally weigh our butter in oz or grams
Is an American cup the same measurement as an English cup? I think I once read somewhere that they are different but I'm not sure

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 12

Miss Baritone,
I had the same questions last week and I learned from ntertayneme that one stick of butter is equal to a half cup. So 2 sticks is one cup.

Daniela

MariaLovesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBaritone

That cake sounds lovely but a few questions
How much is 2 sticks of butter? we normally weigh our butter in oz or grams
Is an American cup the same measurement as an English cup? I think I once read somewhere that they are different but I'm not sure

1 stick of butter = 4 oz

also

1 stick of butter = 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 6:32am
post #12 of 12

Thanks very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%