Gelatin Free Fondant?

Decorating By daisy81382 Updated 7 May 2010 , 3:35pm by daisy81382

daisy81382 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy81382 Posted 6 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 8

I have a friend who has asked me to do her wedding cake. I have never done a wedding cake but told her I'd be happy to try it for her. After speaking last night she informs me that she is 'sort of' vegetarian. So when we were talking about fondant I told her that I use MMF and she said she doesn't eat gelatin... So now I'm kind of stumped. I could do a pure buttercream cake, but I like the fondant decorations, plus it's on July 31 so i worry about the buttercream melting.

I have seen there is a cream cheese base fondant but have never worked with this. Does anyone know how easy this is to work with and how smooth it goes on? Are there any other ideas for vegetarian fondant or am i going to have to just do buttercream?

by the way, apparently eggs and milk are ok. I told her that if they weren't ok she might have to go to a specialty baker.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can provide.

7 replies
Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 8

If you want to buy, Satin Ice if free of gelatin.
I can't say for sure, but I heard that piping gel also has gelatin. I don't have any at home to check, just thought I would share anyway...

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 8

Why doesn't she just not eat the fondant?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 8

Hi, for this cake, you might have to use store bought fondant. Check the label as they might be vegan. icon_smile.gif

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 8

If she doesn't eat gelatin does she consume dairy products even - or eggs? Might want to double check -

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 6 May 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 8

Satin Ice is Kosher

DecorateMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecorateMe Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 8

Kosher gelatin is made from fish bones rather than meat bones. I have no problems using Kosher gelatin for my regular fondant recipe.

daisy81382 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy81382 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for your replies. We might be getting away from the fondant as she likes a sugar tile cake I sent her (although I'm not sure how that's going to stand up at the end of July with the heat). If I have to, I will just buy Satin ice or look for the kosher gelatin. I was really thrown off when she told me that.

She did say that eggs & milk are fine. If they were going to be a problem she was going to have to go somewhere else.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%